AuthorTopic: my first series  (Read 2566 times)

Offline stuartevans

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
my first series
« on: May 09, 2009, 22:15:09 »
could anybody help ive just bought my first series3 109 to restore as my first project i need to know what the 2 sticks are next to the gear stick and really just anything that might help me when i start like what are all the switches for on the dash.thanks in advance.
S Evans

Offline Panda

Attack Member
Re: my first series
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 23:02:48 »
The two stick should  [-o< have a red and yellow knobs on them...

The yellow one should push down which engages 4 wheel drive high range...

The red one is your low box...with the stick pushed towards the bulk head is 2 wheel drive...with the stick pulled all the way back to the rear you have 4 wheel drive low range.

HTH
Your never too old to grow up.

Offline Little-Green-Machine

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 16:54:21 »
also when the red lever is pulled back it engages difflock, make sure the lever is forward when driving on the road other wise things tend to break. :rolleyes:
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI
Both with mods, dents and scratches!

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 16:57:46 »
Welcome to series ownership!
Haynes manual is worth getting to start off with lots diagrams and can look things up! also search online can find electronic versions!
How much of a restoration project you planning?
Little-green-machine  difflock??? not on a series
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline Panda

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 17:02:13 »

Little-green-machine  difflock??? not on a series

yer that had me puzzled to  :-k

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 19:46:53 »
hmm i got told that when i got it and just belived it. learn sumat new every day lol.
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 20:00:20 »
i was told that low box in the series is the same as putting a disco/defender in low box difflock nothing else. 
and that they dont have difflock as such, just the lock in low , cant do it in high 4wd just low.   does that sound more like it?
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI

Offline Panda

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 20:07:01 »
Not really no....

unless your truck has after market diff lockers on it, which by the sounds of it, it doesnt.

Putting it into low boxs just engages all four wheel to low range...no diff lock or lock im afraid.

i stand to be corrected though.

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 20:20:06 »
strange i asked the fountain of landy knowlege and he came up with that, i dont have aftermarket lockers but then again i thought you could only get axle lockers aftermarket wise?   oh well if i do get stuck i just dropped a big fat winch on the front :lol:
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI

Offline jb0882010

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 21:04:00 »
...the way I understand it is on a defender you have AWD so normaly all 4 are driving unless you lose traction in one then you have no drive unless you engage the diff in the transfer box, but don't to it on tar or you'll knancker the box.  A series landy is normaly 2WD unless in low range or yellow knob pushed down this gives 4WD akin to the defender with the center diff lock on, so again the reason that it's not good to use it on hard surfaces.   Does that sound right?

jamie
Jamie

S2
S2A
110V8
6x4 hi cap

Offline TBM

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:55:36 »
As stated Series have selectable 2 and 4wd.

In 4WD it is the same as a Defender in 4WD WITHOUT Difflock. The Series has no Difflock or anything like a Difflock.

The reason for not driving a Series in 4WD on Tarmac is to do with the axle. On tarmac, the Series axles can experience 'wind up' caused during turning (the outside wheels turn at a slightly different speed to the inside wheels - or something like that). Off road, there is more give in the ground surface which prevent this.  A Defender has a CV joints in the axle which prevents axle wind up, hence the ability to have permanent 4WD.

That said, I've driven many miles in 4WD on tarmac with no ill effects. You do get a bit of steering wheel snatch on corners though.

Offline TBM

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:57:12 »
strange i asked the fountain of landy knowlege and he came up with that, i dont have aftermarket lockers but then again i thought you could only get axle lockers aftermarket wise?   oh well if i do get stuck i just dropped a big fat winch on the front :lol:

There are many self proclaimed fountains of landy knowledge. The reality is often far different.....   :lol:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 11:08:51 »
another effect of driving on high traction surface (road!) with your knob engaged is tyre scrubbing as the wear will be 'greatly' increased. Windup can eases itself on the road when going over pot holes, bumps, puddles. Easy to forget disengage yellow knob from time to time...hopefully no one forgets the red knob :D ....though I have heard stories of new owners disappointed at the screaming top speed of their new purchase before they discover that there is a high box.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 12:49:50 »
There's no centre difflock  (like defenders etc have) on a series truck (except stage 1's) because there's no centre diff, it doesn't need one because it's not permanent 4wd.

Engaging low range also engages a dog clutch in the front output housing that engages with the front output shaft. Pressing the yellow knob down whilst in High range acheives the same thing by pulling a pin out of a spring loaded shaft that also engages the dog clutch.

this is a post I wrote a while ago for another forum...

"Stripping my old box down now so I thought I'd open up the transfer box and see how the 4wd system works...

This is the view in through the bottom cover of the transfer box

photo1 – Low Range

Here the transfer box is in low range.
Drive would come in from the main gearbox on the far right of this picture and is transmitted via the intermediate gears in the middle to the output gears on the left.

The following photo shows the transfer box in high range

photo 2 - High Range

Sticking out of the front of the transfer box are 3 shafts

photo 3

The thickest one, at the bottom of the photo, is the front output shaft, which transmits drive to the front axle when 4wd is selected, at its left hand end you can see the dog teeth, and the silver ring of the dog clutch that slides over them to engage 4wd ( see photos 4&5 below.  The one in the middle with nut on the end is the high low selector shaft; this is connected to the red lever.  The top one is the 4wd selector.  The bronze coloured piece attached to it is the 4wd selector fork.

Photo 4 - 2wd

Photo 5 - 4wd

In between the hi/low selector shaft and the 4wd selector shaft there is another short shaft

photo 6
This is the shaft that allows 4wd in high range to be selected. (the photo shows it in low range 4wd)

Photo7

The ‘L’ shaped piece you can see is connected via a lever to the yellow knob.  As you push the yellow knob down it pulls the ‘L’ shaped peg in the direction towards the camera. This disengages it from the short shaft and allows the shaft to move forwards, pushed by the spring on either the hi/lo selector shaft or the 4wd selector shaft (can’t quite work out which), engaging 4wd.

When low range is selected the short shaft is pinned in place by the 'L' shaped peg, so as the hi/low selector is pushed back, by you pulling back on the red lever, the piece that is attached to the short shaft by a pivot and runs between the hi/lo selector and the 4wd selector pivots and pulls the 4wd selector forwards engaging 4wd. This is illustrated in photos 4 and 5.

I think that's how it works.  Hopefully it wasn't too boring and anyone who knows better will be along to correct my errors and clear up any unclear bits."

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 21:01:30 »
right so when you go into low or 4wd , it doesnt have a central diff so the props are locked together like a difflock?
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 13:04:07 »
right so when you go into low or 4wd , it doesnt have a central diff so the props are locked together like a difflock?
Yeah, when in 4wd (high) or low range (always 4wd) both props turn at the same speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal