AuthorTopic: 200 TDI clunking sound  (Read 609 times)

mattyme

200 TDI clunking sound
« on: May 02, 2009, 20:08:56 »
ok fellas... see if you can help me out with this one.

ive got a 200 tdi disco with a scorpion racing 2" lift. ive had the usual front prop issues and am awaiting a cardon jointed prop as we speak.

ive got a clunking sound from underneath. its somethin to do with the drive train or final drive i think.
when i accelerate a little hard it doesnt clunk,
if i accelerate softly it clunks,
it clunks quite loudly when feathering the accelerator and sort of coasting if you get what i mean,
when slowing down in gear and breaking it doesnt clunk until im coming to a halt then it clunks 3 or 4 times.
the clunking is rythmic and sounds like it should be a UJ or something similar.

i took the front prop off and found the sliding end to be completely void of grease (and have lots of play on the slide) and it still clunked.
put a different front prop back on and took the rear prop off,
the clunking stops altogether so i tried 2 other rear props in case it was the prop UJ's and the clunking persisted with all 3 props.

while underneath i found the steering damper to be leaking so i changed that and the clunking persists.

ive got a spare diff that i can swap but i dont really want to swap them just to see if that is the problem.... altho im beginning to think that the diff is the problem.

im beginning to lose a little too much hair now from too much head scratching and i swear in gonna hear that bloody clunking in my sleep!! lol
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 20:34:03 by mattyme »

mattyme

Re: 200 TDI clunking sound
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 19:17:33 »
ahem.... it would appear that my clunking problem is cured.

before checking propshafts and thinkin about messin around with diffs i should have got aomeone to drive it and walk next to it to try and locate the sound.

it turns out that my wheel spacer had worked a little loose!! tightened it up and hey presto..... lol

it pays to chek the simple things before going for the bigger things!! lol

Offline eugene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 200 TDI clunking sound
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 19:55:19 »
try useing locktite on them  :D
sj410 wifes offroader
1992 gold 5 door disco winch and bumper spots rooflights .2inch lift. khuno kl 71 265.75.16.rebel steering guard. snorkel
 freelander wifes car
www.norfolk4x4response.org.uk  www.brecklandlrc.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal