AuthorTopic: Safari Snorkel ????  (Read 1072 times)

Offline 90Mike

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Safari Snorkel ????
« on: April 20, 2009, 21:17:30 »
Hi guys i like the look of the Safari Snorkel but i don't know if it will fit my truck as i don't have any vents on the side of the wings only the tops of both,or do you get a template with a new kit  :-k like i did with my discovery at the moment its got a V8 fitted but a 300tdi in the pipe line so i am not sure even which kit to buy  8-[
MRM Auto Centre
Unit 6 Central City Industrial Estate
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
Re: Safari Snorkel ????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:25:22 »
hi mike
the safari snorkel uses the existing pipe work from the vents in the wing side to the air filter so you would need to get all that as well and also its designed to match upto the existing vent aperture (you remove the grill) so you may have some sealing issues but should be do-able if you are brave enough to cut a big hole in the wing :lol:
you get a template for the bolt hole position iirc so you sould be able to work out position of the big hole!
the likes of mantec and southdown do the wing top mounted snorkels which may work out cheaper if you take into acount all the extra bits you will need

hope this helps kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline pondy653

Attack Member
    • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 21:05:31 »
Get a "plastic jobby" like mine
Made by Mantec £148 and fit a treat.
98 Defender 110 CSW Tdi
Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport DSG
Yamaha WR450F (for treading really lightly)
4x4 Response (Norfolk&Suffolk) Member since 1999

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 22:35:49 »
Sorry mate not to keen on that one but each to ther own  ;)
MRM Auto Centre
Unit 6 Central City Industrial Estate
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline ChrisW70

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 22:55:56 »
You could swap a wing for one with the intake on the side. As to which snorkel I think 200 and 300 snorkels are different sides? It all depends on where the air filter is fitted - 300 standard Defender fit is on the LHS (standing at front looking at engine) but if it's a retrofit it could be anywhere?
I'd say wait until you've got the engine bay how you want it before deciding which snorkel to go for.
Chris W

West Midlands Region GLASS Rep
GLASS TRO Officer

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 23:37:45 »
Or get a southdown one, like mine, very good, does away with the joints bhiends the wing that are a PITA to seal and can fail when you least want them to  :'(
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Blue72

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:37:37 »
Hi guys i like the look of the Safari Snorkel but i don't know if it will fit my truck as i don't have any vents on the side of the wings only the tops of both,or do you get a template with a new kit  :-k like i did with my discovery at the moment its got a V8 fitted but a 300tdi in the pipe line so i am not sure even which kit to buy  8-[

Mike.......just a point to mention

1) your turning into a rag top so you will get very wet
2) you dont go deep enough unless the holes in the roads in Cov are deep after it rains LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, 300tdi will be on the drivers side wing if im right.
I think either the cutting out will work like on the Disco or find a second hand wing?????? probably a better idea for better fit and sealing??
Forum photographer :)

www.B72Imaging.com

Finding life with a V8 somewhat interesting!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal