AuthorTopic: First week with a P38, Well I was warned!!!!!!!!  (Read 1246 times)

Offline hillbilly

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
First week with a P38, Well I was warned!!!!!!!!
« on: April 13, 2009, 21:57:56 »
For those whe have not seen my intro, Last week I bought a 2000 (W) P38 Hdse, 105,000K
Ok so the first fault (on the way home) was not really a RR prob but most of the diesel spill off pipes on the injectors were eF'ed so quite a lot of derv was running off the engine and through to the back of the truck, 15 minute job but made a greasy smelly mess of the engine bay.
Second fault on day two was the tail gate not opening! the feed wire to the tail in the drivers door was cut so required stripping the door out and re-connecting, not a bad job but when it failed i was at the super-market loading a trolley of crap in through the back seats looking like a <edit>.
Fault three and the most eF'ing anoying and damn hard to sort out yet! yesterday got in the truck and thought i could smell anti-freeze, then saw a damp patch on the drivers floor trailing up the side of the dash centre, Yep both Matrix O-rings shot to <edit>, this has taken me most of today to fix (tip, do not atempt this job with a cheap replacement bolt, it will rung off before its tight enough! use a machine grade hex head bolt and a perfect fitting bit) not a nice job guys!
So at the moment im a little miffed about my P38 and could do with a few kind words, I do belive that the matrix job was prob the reason the RR was for sale at the tempting price I paid, but still is the a taste of things to come or will I have a reliable truck once I sort these neglected problems out! your thoughts please!! ;)

P.S. on a plus note its thanks to forums like this that ive found solutions to all these faults! without i would have spent a fortune at dealers by now!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:55:59 by Paul »

Offline gnasha

Attack Member
  • Member No 1720
    • kettering
Re: First week with a P38, Well I was warned!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 22:22:04 »
good luck with ya motor
Mud Club always gets my thumbs up helped us a lot in the past

Click our banner above to visit our forum
200tdi Landrover 90 200tdi disco what's left of it lol
http://gnasha1.talk4fun.net/ http://www.gnasha1.co.uk/ http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gnasha/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Offline ben-dent

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 20:11:16 »
like gnasha said MC has helped me out with most of the problems i have had

also once you sort out the problems, it should be a good truck, ours has had a few problems and was fixed and went good for a while, but is playing up at the minute, think its an ECU problem though,

you can buy a good one (they will all need work at some point) or buy an absolute <edit> one that will be trouble all the time or cost a bomb every time
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 20:55:50 by wingman »
Ben Haynes

1984(B) Rangie Vouge V8) (DENT)
1986(D) Rangie Vouge CCV Trialer

Offline hillbilly

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 20:55:44 »
like gnasha said MC has helped me out with most of the problems i have had

also once you sort out the problems, it should be a good truck, ours has had a few problems and was fixed and went good for a while, but is playing up at the minute, think its an ECU problem though,

you can buy a good one (they will all need work at some point) or buy an absolute <edit> one that will be trouble all the time or cost a bomb every time

Yea I know what you're saying, I do tend to spot a "dog" of a motor when shopping though and with mine having only had 3 owners (last one for three years) I hoped this was an indicator that the truck was not a wrongun! ive not lost all faith and still maintain that of the ones i tried it was by far the best drive, so I will keep my fingers crossed [-o<
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 20:56:25 by wingman »

Offline charlie420

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 22:57:25 »
ive had my 4.0 se for over a year now and had no untoward problems. i use it for laning and regular off road trips and its been up to the door handles in water(seriously check utube) just rinsed the ecu's under the tap and away we go again. everything still works too
its now running big mud tyres, snorkle, winch bumper etc id suggest looking at www.rangerovers.net seems to have the p38 covered on there. failing that im usually up to my armpits looking after mine; a recent 150 amp alternator upgrade has made sure of that!!! so feel welcome to pick my brains.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal