AuthorTopic: Giving myself a pat on the back!  (Read 825 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Giving myself a pat on the back!
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:54:32 »
Those of you who know me know that i know naff all about engines or mechanical workings to repair an engine.

Well on Wednesday i had to go and start trying to replace a starter motor on my step sons 1994 polo.  Now starter motors are something i have done in the past on a couple of cars and they were soooooooo easy, you could see the starter and do it without removing anything else!

It all started fine, we went to a scrappies and got a starter, tested it there and then and got it for a tenner (£100 new from a motor factors).  Got back to the car and started having a look round the engine for the offending article, but it was nowhere to be seen!

Some bright engine designer type person at VW had decided that on this particular engine it should be positioned right underneath the inlet manifold, with no access from above or below unless you strip out half the engine!

So i bit me teeth and got on with it, whipped out the throttle assembly and the inlet manifold and all associated pipes/plugs etc........ replaced the starter and put it all back together!!

Low and behold it actually works!  So am having giving meself a pat on the back for actually managing to get it done!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
Re: Giving myself a pat on the back!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 13:37:21 »
Well done that man  :clap: :clap: :clap:
I hate working on cars, i'll tackle anything on Landrovers, but cars  :doh:

I had the head gasket go on the family car last year (98 plate scenic) and as funds were tight figured id do it myself.

Hateful job :evil:
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 16:17:39 »
Nice one Dan.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's always nice when you do something for yourself and save a few quid in the process.  :dance: :dance: :dance:

Mark.
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 16:22:24 »
good on ya mate,im a mechanic for a living and working on most cars these days require anger managment courses arfterwards :lol:

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 16:23:10 »
Well done, that man!

My colleague at work was trying to find the starter on his KA...... that was nowhere to be seen either!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:40:33 »
If you think cars are bad, try working on small Japanese motorbikes. A friend of mine is convinced they start building them with the spark plugs suspended in mid-air, and add the rest of the engine around them.

Mopeds and scooters are even worse - you need to be a watchmaker to get at anything inside them.
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 13:25:40 »
LOL definately not doing motorbikes!  Been there and done the riding part in the past!

Todays mechanical job is to try and find the fault with the petrol system on the rangie, which involves taking the tank out to get at the fuel pump!

So my afternoon is going to be fun!

But thanks for all the encouragement :D its nice to actually succeed at something instead of paying someone else or getting too frustrated and selling the motor!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal