AuthorTopic: 2.5 NA engine leaking oil problems!!!  (Read 694 times)

Offline Tango

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2.5 NA engine leaking oil problems!!!
« on: April 08, 2009, 22:49:54 »
So we rebuilt my 2.5 NA engine and I think we made have made a mistake as we had taken off the flywheel and rear cover, which was sealed!!!! When we put it back on we did not re seal this but fitted a new rear main oil seal.

The problem I now have is that the flywheel cover is leaking oil from between the rear of the engine and the cover. Should I have sealed this in place when refitting this???? The rear main oil seal is ok and not leaking any help or ideas to what we should have done!!! Cheers

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Re: 2.5 NA engine leaking oil problems!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:37:05 »
If the T-seals are weak/leaking, then oil will come out of the flywheel housing/block joint. Sealing the join with RTV is a wise thing to do - replacing the T-seals is a lot more work/awkward to do.

Les.

Offline Tango

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:10:15 »
If the T-seals are weak/leaking, then oil will come out of the flywheel housing/block joint. Sealing the join with RTV is a wise thing to do - replacing the T-seals is a lot more work/awkward to do.

Les.

Cheers Les but I was told if I dont do the T pieces then it will blow the rear main oil seal quicker is this so or can you get away with it by doing what you said.

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:26:28 »
The T-seals aren't under pressure - just there to stop weeping oil from the sump to the outside. If oil is being forced out, then it's from excessive crankcase pressure.

Les.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal