AuthorTopic: All electrics fine......but won't turn over! Any help appreciated!  (Read 956 times)

Offline Big Naughty

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Paul Heron
  • Referrals: 0
I parked my Rangie on the drive after wading through very deep water for some time that only covered the starter motor breifly (it has got a 12 inch lift.) Now it won't turn over and start! It does start with a push!

Its a 1983 V8, with a later 3.9 running LPG. before this everything worked just perfect! It had a new starter, new 6RA solenoid and new fuses.

I have put another new starter on it, another new 6RA, new fully charged battery, checked the battery positive and earth cables - they are all fine and dandy!

When I try to turn it over with the ignition all the LPG starts up as normal, but the strater won't operate. With the headlights on, turning the key does not make them dip!

The only thing I have done is remove the CD/Radio by unplugging it from the dash. I am bemused to say the least!

Is there anything else I can check? All help greatly appreciated.

BN

Offline doda456

Attack Member
This may sound obvious but have you checked the feed to the starter solenoid? It should become live only when you turn the key to the start postion,

To identifty it, its the small wire going to the starter,
I know this problem from experince, I went for a drive next woulnd start, and found the wire had come off,

Dan

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
I echo Dodas res[ponse and raise him a starter relay... make sure it's working getting the necessary feed.

skibum

Offline Big Naughty

Attack Member
  • Paul Heron
Hi there Skibum346 and doda456, thanks for the responses. The wire is on, as I can see it throught he wheel arch. I will check there is a feed when the ignition key is turned and work backwards through the wiring from there.

I will keep you posted - thanks - I am going mad keep looking at it on the drive and not being able to drive it!

Cheers

BN

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
There is a relay in the satarter circuit, try checking that is working or try jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Big Naughty

Attack Member
  • Paul Heron
So - the good news is she is up an running again! Thanks for all your advice.  I ended up replacing most of the White and Red wiring circuit in the starter loop, and cleaning all the contacts and earth points. This should last for some time now.

Cheers Guys. Back to scaring the neighbours with it now! Yeehaw!

BN

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal