AuthorTopic: The agony and the exctasy- finally some progress  (Read 822 times)

Offline brixworth-alan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
  • Referrals: 0
The agony and the exctasy- finally some progress
« on: April 05, 2009, 22:07:34 »
Not sure if this fits in this part of the site but got LOADS done today on my S11a and can't contain myself.

Gains:
Chemically stripped and anti-rust primed replacement front centre-panel, (the rare sort with headlamp holes)
Removed bonnet, wirebrushed rusty internal frame and anti-rust primed it.
Did the really fiddly bit of the Off-side front wing removal.

Losses:
Skin off my knuckles until I found a system for getting at the wing-to-bulkhead retaining bolts. The trick is to get a ratchet with a  really long extension shaft (like for spark plugs) and plug a couple of them together so the handle will clear the footwell so you can actually turn it, and then do everything from under the wheelarch (mudguard removed of course)

Feels good- and apart from paint and electricity didn't cost me a penny!

Doubtless this will all be spoiled when I get to see that the bulkhead really is rusty on 'both sides'- whoever thought of composite alu- steel construction for parts that sit in the wet needs his head examining- with a bat!

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
Re: The agony and the exctasy- finally some progress
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:25:12 »
I know how you feel i have been changing my gearbox series 3 after finding ebay bargain only to find hole in chassis
nothing unusual there! 1 day later 2 BIG holes and a landy with no body on galv chassis needed

like opening a can of worms lol!
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
Re: The agony and the exctasy- finally some progress
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 20:53:16 »
Oldly enough- I've just had the exact same experience! Anyone know a man with a trailer and the way to Paddocks?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal