AuthorTopic: Coil Springs  (Read 844 times)

Offline Matt M

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Coil Springs
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:28:36 »
Hi all,

on my series three the original leaf springs have been replaced (for discovery xoil spirngs i believe - it was done by a previous owner) - anyway, the front of my landy points upwards a little and does seem to have quite a lot of body roll when cornering, can I just buy some spring clamps to lower them slightly and does anyone know what sort i need? I've done some searches on Ebay but no idea really what i'm looking for. the springs had been uprated by the previous owner so they could put on larger tyres, i think they got carried away a bit!

any ideas? - i'm very new to mechanics and landrovers hence why my question might seem slightly uneducated!

Cheers,

Matt

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Re: Coil Springs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 16:59:39 »
Tired springs won't help.  Coil springs were never standard on a Series, so either yours has been modified to fit the coil springs and later axles or you have a Designa chassis fitted.

Coil sprung Land Rovers are common to rolling about with tired springs and bushes.  Range Rovers and 300 Discoveries were fitted with anti-roll bars which also helped with their stability.  I'm not sure which models of 90 and 110 received anti roll bars, other than Station Wagons did.

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
Re: Coil Springs
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 13:52:07 »
On the rear axle does it have the front of the rear leaf springs going from the body mount and clamping under the axle but has the back missing? the leaf spring will look like the front one. and then a coil to chassis, as this is a cheap way to put coils on and happened on a few landies. or are there what look like hockey sticks to keep the axle in place?
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal