AuthorTopic: Electrical failure...help needed  (Read 855 times)

Offline dod51e

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Electrical failure...help needed
« on: March 21, 2009, 18:06:40 »
Hi Guys,

Having had the Rangie off the road for the last five weeks (new heater matrix, head gaskets, dizzy coil and failed A&R Amp) she is finally going.  Only problem is that I now have no electric windows, auto dip mirror, radio or seats working.  Not overly worried about the electric seats as I wired them in separately and is probably down to dodgy switches.  It is the rest that has confused me.  There is also a wire at the front of the near side wing that was once ignition live and is now dead (this is where the power amp for the ignition was incorrectly wired)

Do these circuits run to a common earth or from a common positive, or is it down to the voltage sensitive switch?

Any idea's.

Many thanks

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Electrical failure...help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 17:32:56 »
What year is it?  sounds a bit like a supply is missing, either a stuck relay or a fuse blown (that wire on the inner wing shorted out?) but without looking in a manual I can't say for definite (even they aren't much use at times).

Is it a hard dash or softie?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 17:49:08 »
It is a 1992 3.9 hard dash with LPG.  Fuses in main fuse box I think are all correct and intact.  In fact there is a current to the fuses that, according to the label, feed things like the windows are OK and with current.  The car has had a lot of work done to it recently uinder the bonnet for the ignition (coils, dizzy's and RPI A&R amp).

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:20:30 »
Radio and dip mirror might share a fuse but seats are fused under the passenger's side.  The windows go via a ECU in the centre console IIRC which can cause problems, fuse for that is in main fusebox in the dash.

Thing is I don't think they all share an earth either :-k

I can't thinlk of a straightforeward answer, but where di you fick up the power for the seats if you fitted them youreself?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:42:13 »
I picked up a suitably heavy cable under the driver's side of the dash for the main feed and (IIRC) married up the others required to make the seat work to where they should (or more likely could) be.  Although the main feed is not a poblem as the seats will work with ingition on and the driver's door open (just don't adjust on a left hand bend  :lol:).

Will check a few more spots and get back.

Cheers

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 15:49:17 »
All fuses in the main fuse panel are OK.  There is main power going to the four relays in the cubby box for the windows but nothing beyond the supply in!!

It is the windows (can't say about central locking as it has an after market alarm/locking system on it with its own actuator), radio, clock, rear wiper and auto-dip mirror that are not workng.  Cigar lighter working in cubby box, instrument lights, front wipers interior light also OK :-k

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal