AuthorTopic: windscreen washers  (Read 1180 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
windscreen washers
« on: March 17, 2009, 17:51:11 »
I was wondering what size the windscreen washer pipes are? Are they the same diameter as axle breather pipes?

Reason I ask is I want to extend my washer jet pipes to loop around the hot pipes into the heater matrix so when I squirt the windscreen I get hot water on the screen which I think will be more effective at cleaning the dead bugs off!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
Re: windscreen washers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 17:55:13 »
Not a bad idea mate, you could try some airline pipe from an aquatics supplier, shouldn't cost the earth and it's very flexible.

Mark
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 18:25:10 »
Not a bad idea mate, you could try some airline pipe from an aquatics supplier, shouldn't cost the earth and it's very flexible.

Mark

It is a good idea but I'd be careful with aquatic airline pipe. Years ago I did mine; loose cable ties crushed it and it kinked/blocked at anything other than a straight line.

Removed mine after a couple of days.
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 19:05:21 »
the pipe I used for the axle breathers is slightly tougher. I very much doubt that the pipe is the same size. My luck isnt that good!!! lol

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline ben-dent

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 19:28:55 »
James i think the axle breather pipe might be the same, but if not, go in to any good motor factors, (halfords or other) and buy the normal washer pipe, its not that expencive and if you look they do joiner pieces so you can just cut the old pie and join it in between
Ben Haynes

1984(B) Rangie Vouge V8) (DENT)
1986(D) Rangie Vouge CCV Trialer

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:01:29 »
I've done the same mod to mine - I just rummaged through the local scrappie untill I found a decent length of hose and a non-return valve to use as a coupler.  Cost - NOWT.

It very much improved the washers on mine, but and its a big but - the pump may not be able to handle the extra length of hose and the restriction of any extra couplers you use - mine couldn't so I had to resort to shortening the length of the hose wrapped round the heater pipes and in the end I fitted another pump to the headlamp washer pump hole, (lamp washers went in the bin years ago!), and I now run both pumps in tandem into the one pipe - I was going to use one for each jet but it means more hose and it looks enough of a mess wrapped round the heater pipes as it is!

Enjoy......  :smiley:
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 16:28:34 »
oh. My headlamp washer jets stopped working when I broke the T piece under the bumper and the rear window pump works but pumps no water as the pipe exit at the back fell off and went between the 2 body skins and I cant be bothered to get it out. So doing as you say may be the way forward.

How easy is it to run the 2 pumps in parrallel?

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 18:17:59 »
Simple enough, take the pipe off the outlet of the pump (the front screen one), fit a 'T' to it with a short elngth of pipe between it and the pump.  Bung a pump in the lamp washer hole (you may need a reducing rubber, cant remember it was a while back when I took mine off), and join a short length of pipe to one arm of the 'T' then fit the pipe to the washers to the last arm of the 'T'.  Then all I did was chop the wires before the connector at the pump then solder in the connector from the second pump along with the first (you could use crimps or bullets), re-connect the pumps and off you go.  When you pull the stalk current goes to both pumps and the pressure from each is fed into the one line to the washers.

I'm soon going to add jets onto the rear arm as I've just ran a bit of new pipe from the front to the back (I had the roof lining out so I could get the roof-rails off so thought, why not), it goes into the door via the rubber cable duct and now all I've got to do is take the spare off and the door to bits to locate a good place for the pipe to exit via a grommet, feed it up the wiper arm connect it to the natty little jet I have which screws onto the arm and off I go, a nice reliable (hopefully) back screen washer set-up...............

As you can tell, I get bored sometimes............
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:46:11 »
Well, that went well - NOT!

Got the new washer set-up spot on the rear window - vast improvement.  Then I thought, I'll just clean that wiper arm up and give it a bit of a straighten - yep, it snapped off at the mount!  New one on order......  Then I thought, mmmmm, that spare wheel holder looks very tatty, lets just clean it up and re-paint it.  Taped a couple of big rust/scale patches with a small hammer - yep, holes all the way through!  The thing is like tissue paper - how the hell my spare hasnt landed on someone's bonnet is beyond me.  So, new one of them on order as well.

So a simple task of putting the washer jet onto the wiper arm whre I got all the bits for free, has cost me the best part of 50 quid!  Eeeeek. :shocked:

I love my Disco me.

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 22:52:32 »
Well, that went well - NOT!

Got the new washer set-up spot on the rear window

Where did you bring the pipe out through the door skin? I've got a nice new wiper blade with built-in washer jets for the back door but haven't had time to look for a suitable exit point yet.
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 23:29:48 »
Stripped the door and drilled a hole for a rubber grommet directly above the motor drive shaft exit hole.  looking at the pipes, (theres 2 as I've used small bore pipe to a twin jet set-up to keep the pressure up as its such a long run of pipe), and how they sit now, should have drilled it at 45 degrees from the vertical to the left as you look at it from the back as the pipes catch the arm as it sweeps the screen, nothing too serious, but could have been better...........   There's a kind of cone shaped pressing the motor exits into and I just drilled a hole in that...........

Can prolly do some pics if you want, being as its all stripped down still waiting new parts.  [!Expletive Deleted!].

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 11:53:04 »
I wouldn't say no to a piccy showing the exit hole you drilled  :)
Regards

Steve G

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 13:48:38 »
Here you go - had to crop it a bit, but you get the idea?

Its viewed from the rear of the truck, like I said, 45 degrees round to the left would have been better as the pipes would have sat under the arm in its rest position.  Too late now though eh?!  :lol:

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 13:55:31 »
Cheers for that :-)
Regards

Steve G

Offline BigBlueBeast

Attack Member
    • RAF Marham, Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 14:43:44 »
I was wondering what size the windscreen washer pipes are? Are they the same diameter as axle breather pipes?

Reason I ask is I want to extend my washer jet pipes to loop around the hot pipes into the heater matrix so when I squirt the windscreen I get hot water on the screen which I think will be more effective at cleaning the dead bugs off!

Someone has been reading LRO magazine!! lol. Try any aquatics shop, they sell silicone tubing normally by the mtr. Also, Halfrauds with a trade discount card gets it cheaper still!!
http://www.NCCPhotography.co.uk
1997 'P' 300TDi Disco 1 called Daisy - Sold
1992 'K' Shogun Mk2 LWB called Misty - 4x roof spots
                                                          4x front spots - 440 watts TOTAL atm
                                                          CB fitted - channel 21 - All SOLD
1996 "P" Vauxhall Frontera - SOLD
1992 "J" Toyota Hilux - SOLD
1992 "J" Mitsubishi Pajero - SOLD
1995 "M" Land Rover Discovery V8 - SOLD
Next One - 1986 Land Rover 90, EX-Military Yellow - SOLD
1996 "P" Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE LPG Converted, Blue

'YOU NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY'

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 21:47:57 »
who, me Mitsy??  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal