AuthorTopic: frontera auto hub clicking on drivers side ?  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Toppo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
frontera auto hub clicking on drivers side ?
« on: March 16, 2009, 19:23:19 »
hi  i  clean the aut ohub out and regrease it ? as my drivers side one is clicking ? also do they go back in a certain way ??? any pics would be nice or a manual ,, as i need to tighten my wheel bearings up anyway , thort i might do both while im there , hope some one can help  cheers mark
ive just got this frontera , cheep px at me m8's garage , its a N-REG 2.8 LBW , seems to runs well , but i was trying the 4 wheel drive out seems to work but got this clicking ..

Drift

Re: frontera auto hub clicking on drivers side ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:57:10 »
The clicking is very likely to be the circlip come off the drive shaft, once you get the hub to bits its really easy to replace, just remember there are three grub screws on the plate that holds the bearing adjuster in place, they can round off easy but they will come out, they dont have to be very tight when replaced as the backing plate of the hub will hold them in.

Worst case for the clicking will be the cv joint on its way out but this is unlikely if the car hasnt been off road much.

Will try and get you some pictures tonight when I get home.

Offline Toppo

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 19:38:32 »
thanks alot would be greatfull , i realy want to get offroad with this fronty , thanks again  mark 

Drift

Offline shinyheed

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:10:23 »
sometimes the ends the circlips grip onto wear a bit and you can find the clip keeps popping off, sometimes a new clip will cure this, on mine it didn't, in the end we put a tiny weld on the clip to hold it in place, but little enough that it could be forced off if the hub needed stripped again

hope this helps, and don't use it off road with the hub clicking as the slip on the hub often causes the front diffs to break
Phil, northtyne4x4.com

Offline Toppo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:53 »
Thanks again  that was a good right up . im going to clean them both out and regrease , also gunner get a new circlips ,,  is there any special way you have to locate it ,, or just line the lugs up ,, thanks mark 

Drift

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:34:10 »
Ello Phil, long time no see  :D

Toppo, its like a jigsaw, it will only go back one way ( the backing plate ) the rest is as you say, line up and bolt on  :)
Just use a light smear of grease on the outer part of the hubs, to much grease can stop them working.

If money is ok get yourself some manual hubs, well worth it in the long run.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:53:34 »
Clicking can also happen if the guts of the auto hubs are gummed up from never being used. Leave to soak all night in some de-greaser and then reassemble with 5gram of grease per hub. Any more and you'll get hydraulic locking on the teeth and they wont work correctly.

You'll get loud banging from auto's occasionally too - that's the teeth jumping if your turning on a hard surface like rock. You'll [!Expletive Deleted!] yourself first time it happens ;)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline shinyheed

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 17:03:34 »
Ello Phil, long time no see  :D

hello mate, i'm still around, just rarely get on fog these days since its so long since my beloved fronty went
Phil, northtyne4x4.com

Drift

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 19:24:01 »
As long as your doing ok  :cool:

Offline Toppo

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 21:28:15 »
hi again ,  also have has any 1 had any probs with the cold start valve thing on the exhaust ?? as i seem to be getting low power when cold , and like a diesel knock  when reving it ,,,,,,could this be causing lack of power, if its no opening , can u by pass it ? thanks mark

Drift

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 22:41:30 »
Took mine off.

The unit off the car, you can see the paddle that closes to make the engine work harder thus warm up quicker.
This should only work when you press the green engine button on the dash to your right.

Ive neber used it and its not had a problem warming up since I took it off nearly a year ago.

And replaced with this spacer in the exhaust to fill the gap left.

Offline Toppo

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 18:55:07 »
hi  can u tell me if a set of manual free wheel hubs of a 1988 trooper will fit my 1996 2.8 frontera ?

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 20:33:49 »
Yes.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Drift

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 22:28:15 »
As long as its 17 spline you should be ok.

Offline Toppo

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 19:25:23 »
sorted it ,got me manual hubs on  , and seem to work ok ???  ive lifted the front by winding the torsion bar abit  ,, just need to lift the back up now ??? also another thing it , ive just got this frontera , ive done the mot work , 12 months now ,, ,,,  the EGR valve as bin removed ,blanks off , but when its cold , starts ok , but get a diesel knock when i rev it or drive for the first 5 mins till its warm , like its getting to much fuel form cold  no smoke or anything , and when its warm , runs well ?? any ideas ,, is there a cold start valve that i could remove , or is it the flap thing in the exhaust causing it ?   thanks for all your help so far   cheers mark ( toppo ) 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 17:50:32 by Toppo »

Drift

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 19:08:34 »
Check the pics above thats part of the cold start I removed.

They sound like a transit van dragging a bag of spanners for the first mile or two in the mornings, just the nature of the beast Im afraid.
Dont over rev the engine when its cold, it wont help it.

Offline Toppo

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 19:06:57 »
hi again  ive just got a w -reg frontera with headgasket gone . its a rs sport 2.2 16v petrol , just got it stripped down , defo head gasket , my question is  should i keep my N-REG 2.8td  lwb , or this rs petrol one ,, i want to do some off roading  green laning this summer . and i got the 2.8 first as it was cheep  . but then got this one cheep too ,, i like the sport one ,,  but like the diesel one ??  wat u recon ?
thanks mark 

Drift

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 23:03:18 »
The 2.2 petrol are renowned for having a weak bottom end, so you could get the top end sorted only to have problems later on.

The 2.8 on the other hand with oil changes every 3K  it will serve you well, just dont let it over heat, they run cool anyway.
Its a solid old basic engine thats as tough as old boots if looked after, I am bias towards the 2.8 though but after 3 years with this all Ive changed is the starter and alternator and thats due to going off road they died.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal