AuthorTopic: Winch Problem  (Read 989 times)

Offline robdog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winch Problem
« on: March 08, 2009, 20:56:10 »
Hi there my winch is only about a year old, it has been used on a regular basis but have noticed that some times when you press the wind in button the winch just makes a clunk noise and does nothing. The winch is connected to a lesure battery both pos and neg. Is it the solenoids or the winch?

Rob

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Re: Winch Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 21:04:19 »
clunk or a click?

if it makes a click i would say for sure that the solenoids are on there way out....
However i would advise first of a bit of routine maintainence & clean & grease all  the connections (power & earth leads) first & go from there
if you can remove the solenoid box cover & check to see if it has the "can" type solenoids, if so these are crap, remove the soleoids & replace with either a genuine allbrite from Devon 4x4 (www.devon4x4.com) or a superwinch Hd solenoid from Gwyn lewis 4x4 (www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk), the superwinch solenoids looks similar to the allbrite but is a bit cheaper, i have both types on my car & can vouch for them being pretty good
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline discodunk

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 22:50:58 »
hi does your winch still work one way(ie does it go in but not out or vice versa)if it does swap your 2 black wires over and try it again ,if it does the opposite to what it did i would say its the solinoids ,ive just changed mine and works fine now(bit confusing :oops: :oops:)

Offline robdog

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:54:58 »
It is a bit temperamental when you press the button you hear a heavy click but more of a clunk sort of sound, the winch drum twitches as if its about to start but nothing. It will wind out and after a few attempts will start winding in but if you release the button and then start again you are back to the clunk noise again. The terminals are all clean on the outside and making good contact, so will open the solenoid box and see what type it is. Might just get a new one and try it.

Rob

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 16:07:51 »
It is a bit temperamental when you press the button you hear a heavy click but more of a clunk sort of sound, the winch drum twitches as if its about to start but nothing. It will wind out and after a few attempts will start winding in but if you release the button and then start again you are back to the clunk noise again. The terminals are all clean on the outside and making good contact, so will open the solenoid box and see what type it is. Might just get a new one and try it.

Rob

Sounds like sticky solenoid or sticky brushes on the end of the motor.
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 16:47:39 »
 Check the brushes (as JD said) make sure there not stuck,  reface them and maybe clean up the armature with some emery cloth....

Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal