AuthorTopic: DPGs knowledge to the rescue, again..  (Read 5643 times)

Offline muky-kid.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
DPGs knowledge to the rescue, again..
« on: March 14, 2005, 23:23:26 »
:D Evening all. Ive had a bit of bother with the Rangie for the past couple of days. Flat spots when in petrol mode. :evil: .
I was thinking anything could be wrong with it, didnt have a clue what was wrong. Until after work today i took it to DPGs garrage, were he hooked it upto a digital annalizer thingy thing...?  It was running fine whilst on GAS but on Petrol the tickover was fine but if you tried to pull away it coughed and spluttered through the rev range sounding awful.

:D Anyway i dont know what DPG did ( not mechanically minded ). I know he riched the mixture a little and checked alsorts, everything else was fine i.e plugs/leads/battery chargeing/alternator/coil even oil in dash pots was fine.

:D  :D Conclusion was needle ware in the carbs due to running on GAS to often and lack of petrol lubrication in carbs.

:evil: So my job this weekend, is take the tops of the carbs, check needles ( give them a lite clean with fine paper ). Whilst tops of, with use of the air line blow air into piston cavity so as to clean around jets. Put back together and tune/rebalance carbs. ( after makeing a note of which type and number the needles are ).
 :D  :D Hopefully this will cure the problem. If it does ill be useing Petrol more often from time to time to keep them lubricated as GAS wares the Needles down quite quickly if Petrol is not used on a regualar basis ( on startup etc.. till engine is warm them switch to Gas ).

And there was me thinking it was the end of the world... I would never of thought about the carb needles been worn. Cheers for the help DPG. :D
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline DPG

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 23:50:30 »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops: I guesed  :? Its probley some thing else but it did sound good at the time :lol: if it not that you can always curse me everone else dose when I get it wrong :? hey whats new :twisted:
Life is full of surprises if you don't look where you're going?

Offline macca

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 12:17:27 »
think its the same problem as mine.when running on gas the su carbs dry up and the float sticks and needles wear becouse there is no lifter kit like the strongburg carbs. thats what happend when we were camping at the old man and had to strip down my carbs at the camp site.also check the breathers from the rocker cover to the carb and inside the carbs that it is clear.
keep the country side clean,take the mud home on your 4x4s.

broken rear diff's   3
          front diff's   1
       centre diff's    1
punctures       1

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 19:00:46 »
Sounds like you need a set of carb lifters for running on gas, they move the piston out of the way, with an SU or Strom they will otherwise keep lifting and lowering as if they do when running on petrol.  I'd have thought this would screw up your gas mixture too, as it's effectively another throttle.  Another answer is to use a suplimental oiler, which will protect the whole top end of the engine.  A third way is to swap to Webbers :D
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 00:50:47 »
Quote from: "DPG"
:oops:  :oops:  :oops: I guesed  :? Its probley some thing else but it did sound good at the time :lol: if it not that you can always curse me everone else dose when I get it wrong :? hey whats new :twisted:

:shock:  :shock:  :? WHAT DYA MEAN SOMETHIN ELSE!!!.. dont say that. :lol:  Ill have a look this weekend anyway. :D

Regards MIKE.

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 00:53:42 »
Quote from: "macca"
think its the same problem as mine.when running on gas the su carbs dry up and the float sticks and needles wear becouse there is no lifter kit like the strongburg carbs. thats what happend when we were camping at the old man and had to strip down my carbs at the camp site.also check the breathers from the rocker cover to the carb and inside the carbs that it is clear.

:D Cheers macca, ill check the breathers as well hopefully it will cure the running problem on petrol. I supose ill just have to run it petrol a bit more than i normally do. :evil:

Regards MIKE.

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 00:57:54 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Sounds like you need a set of carb lifters for running on gas, they move the piston out of the way, with an SU or Strom they will otherwise keep lifting and lowering as if they do when running on petrol.  I'd have thought this would screw up your gas mixture too, as it's effectively another throttle.  Another answer is to use a suplimental oiler, which will protect the whole top end of the engine.  A third way is to swap to Webbers :D

:D Cheers for the advice about the lift kit, but if it comes to that ide rarther fit an EFI unit on it like what was originally on it before DPG put it on his Disco, the Disco carbs are now on my Rangie and have been running fine upto now. I hopeping its just needle ware and the carbs just need cleaning...  :(

Regards MIKE.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal