AuthorTopic: Starter motor spinning car not starting  (Read 2778 times)

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Starter motor spinning car not starting
« on: March 06, 2009, 20:23:05 »
Hello,

Im trying to get the S3 out to sell and hit a snag. It worked fine when I parked it in th bar a year ago, but now it wont start.

The starter motor seems to sin up nicely and makes a whirring noise (not jsut clicking) but its not engaging. Possibly the battery is iffy, but I think my smar charger said its ok and anyway I tried to jup it and it did the same.

I have given the statermotor a good tapping about with hammer, but need some other ideas, The book says turn the armatue on the square bit, but I cant find it as the unit looks quite sealed up to me?

Is it worth towing it out in gear for a few feet to see if I can get a different mesh on the starter gear?

(PS anyone wanna buy a 3 series)
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Re: Starter motor spinning car not starting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:33 »
It sound like the bendix is stuck, bu it depends on the type of starter, pre-engaged or inertia, either one really means taking it off, the inertia is the easiest of the two to do as you only have to free off the shaft, probably rusted, this can also work for a pre engaged one too, as its normally the shaft that sticks

However check to see if the solenoid is throwing out the bendix on the pre engaged type, try a direct feed wire to the small spade connector on the solenoid on top of the starter

Hope this makes sense, it did in my head :)
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 19:56:09 »
Thanks, I have a local enthusiast coming to view tomorrow and hopefully he will either buy it or fix it!

I have enough space to tow start or roll it down hill.

Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:53:25 »
SIII are inertia aren't they? sounds like starter dog seized up a bit. Take starter off and clean with solvent and lub dog with a light oil until it moves freely on the shaft with flick from your thumb.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:00 »
SIII are inertia aren't they? sounds like starter dog seized up a bit. Take starter off and clean with solvent and lube the dog with a light oil until it moves freely on the shaft with flick from your thumb.

What he said. ^^^^^

My series will do the same should i go wading to such a depth to get it in the bell housing as the rubber grommet is useless.  I take it out quick bit of cleaner and then some oil over it does the trick.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:28:36 »
Chap came round and said the Dogs "shatter" frequently? does this sound correct. I suppose it makes no odds as it sounds like it needs to come off anyway.

Thanks.

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 07:20:47 »
Never heard of one shattering - just take the starter off and free the gear off. It's probably just stuck.

Les.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal