AuthorTopic: 300tdi Black smoke and lack of power !!!  (Read 7064 times)

Offline tomkbucks

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
300tdi Black smoke and lack of power !!!
« on: March 03, 2009, 23:26:57 »
this is not happening all the time but every now and again i get a loss of power around 2k rpm and black smoke :( i thought there maybe a blockage or something so have taken off the intercooler, and pipes cleaned all that out it was black and thick of oil, engine has done 160k so thought it may help , its running smoother but after another 10k miles or so it developed the lack of power and black smoke under heavy revs. It seems to clear after a while, ive no idea what to do next, some fuel treatment ? new fuel filter ? ive checked the 2 turbo pipes when i took them off and cleaned them and they both have no splits , help !
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 23:33:34 by tomkbucks »

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
Re: 300tdi Black smoke and lack of power !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 00:17:56 »
My 300TDI used to do the same thing, used to get really sluggish and start chucking black smoke out of the back, usually around 50mph in 4th gear.... I blanked off the EGR valve and it cured to problem for me....ran a lot better after doing this so it might be worth giving it a try if you've not already done so.

Mark.
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:18:14 »
well drove in to work today and all seemed fine... so its not all the time ! its been suggested i try changing the lift pump, but im not sure as its not allways smoking and lacking power,

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:38 »
strange that it's not doing it all the time, but my money is on the EGR valve if it's not already been blocked off. I've just changed my lift pump as it's been a bit week ever since I brought the Disco and would really struggle to reach the higher revs from 3rd gear upwards. However this was not the cause of my smoking troubles, but then again no two engines are exactly the same.....

Mark.
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline Lyndsey731

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 13:22:15 »
Hi mate

Check your intercooler pipes, it sounds like they may be compressing when the turbo kicks in.

Gav

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 16:01:11 »
Worth changing the fuel filter just so you can rule it out... although i'm not sure this is the cause of your proble..

I'd blank-off the EGR and run some injector cleaner through it, and see if that makes any difference.
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 16:27:57 »
yup took all the pipes off last night - even flushed them though and the intercooler with petrol to clean,

EGR is not blanked off - so will do this have ordered the kit off ebay , ive also chucked a treatment of Injector deisel treatment in... oh and fuel filter is only 1000miles old so cant really see the point in changing...

it is odd that its only ' sometimes ' also worth saying that last time it happened id just been 'playing' in a fordge... then when it happened last night it was raining - could water be getting in somewere??

Offline Lyndsey731

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 16:42:25 »
Sorry to go on about the pipes as you say you've checked them for splits, but are they soft, do they compress easily in your hand. Pop the bonnet and give it boat load of revs and see if the pipes suck in at all, my did the same, I changed to silicone hoses and it was sorted.

good luck

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:40:35 »
no problem to go on about it - ive actually spotted one pipe is silicone and the others all get nice and hard under revs... again drove home with no problems.. so maybe its fixed itself, but now worried both times it happened it was raining and wet !!

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 13:32:31 »
Mmmm, wet - its not an EDC engine is it?  Water int eh EDC electrics may be to blame, long shot, but might be.....

My money's on the EGR.............
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline Disco-andy

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 23:21:32 »
My old disco did the same sort of thing under load, it turned out to be the u shaped bitof pipe from the air box to the turbo compressing and killing all the air.
It only happened after bending it about to change some turrets, worth a look?

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 15:56:48 »
Any updates on this yet mate, just wondering if you've managed to sort the problem out yet?

Mark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal