AuthorTopic: Buying a S3 LWB - advice please  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Jimbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Buying a S3 LWB - advice please
« on: March 03, 2009, 16:17:59 »
My little Bruv has the opportunity to buy a '79 ex-WD (I assume that means War Dept ?) S3 LWB ragtop 2.25 petrol.

Apparently the truck needs a rear x-member to get through the MoT - what else do we need to look at before parting with the beer tokens ?

I'm assuming that the ragtop is a later conversion, WD vehicles (if it is a WD motor) would not have been rags would they ?

Some more random questions as they emerge from by head  :roll::

How much to replace the rear x-member properly (he's in Derbyshire, and has been recommended someone) ?

There's a slight fuel leak, apparently on the 'switch' between the two fuel tanks - assume this is some sort of changeover tap/valve.............leave it and fix the leak, or do away with the second tank ?

It needs 4 new tyres - I don't know what size rims it's on, but ball park figure for new rubber ?

It's up for £400, is the a fair price, or should we barter a bit ?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Re: Buying a S3 LWB - advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 15:27:51 »
check the gear box for jumping out of 2nd gear. pop it into second and then drive. you need to look out for it jumping out at high revs.

smoking when cold as well. I had 1 that sent a smog over my town when started up and went when it was warm. hat was a worn drive chain.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 18:10:33 »
Sounds like it might be a standard MOD spec 109, what with the switch over system, twin tanks and the ragtop.

Tyres, new would be similar for a 90 or 110.

Offline TBM

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 20:45:40 »
My little Bruv has the opportunity to buy a '79 ex-WD (I assume that means War Dept ?) S3 LWB ragtop 2.25 petrol.

Apparently the truck needs a rear x-member to get through the MoT - what else do we need to look at before parting with the beer tokens ?

I'm assuming that the ragtop is a later conversion, WD vehicles (if it is a WD motor) would not have been rags would they ?

Yes, many were rag tops - 24 and 12v, petrol and diesel.

How much to replace the rear x-member properly (he's in Derbyshire, and has been recommended someone) ?

sorry, no idea of price but they are different on an EX MOD to standard.

There's a slight fuel leak, apparently on the 'switch' between the two fuel tanks - assume this is some sort of changeover tap/valve.............leave it and fix the leak, or do away with the second tank ?

cork seals go on the switch. Leave it switched on one tank until you can get a new tap. You can also bypass the tap and just link the two, or convert to single tank and use the second tank as a tool box (once cleaned and flushed!). I've also seen them converted to normal 'outside fill' tanks.

It needs 4 new tyres - I don't know what size rims it's on, but ball park figure for new rubber ?

usually on standard rims - 7.50 x 16 tyres (235/85 x 16 will also fit) . You can get a set of good remoulds for around the £200 mark.

It's up for £400, is the a fair price, or should we barter a bit ?

If the rest of the chassis is sound and the bulkhead, then seems a reasonable price. However, if you're talking a couple of hundred for the tyres you're up to £600, plus welding then it may start pushing the price up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal