AuthorTopic: Noisy Gear Lever  (Read 5492 times)

Ausyrover

Noisy Gear Lever
« on: March 14, 2005, 13:11:44 »
Just bought a 90 Rangie 3.9 5 speed. Occasionally the gear lever would rattle although it is connected nice and tight. I recently changed oils and put 80w gear oil in the transfer case as per the Haines manual. The rattle got worse and after being told to put ATF in the T case it has subsided a little. If you lift or push down on the lever it stops. I am wondering if it is something to do with the oil pump in the transfer case? Doesn't seem to do it in low range.

Offline kevbutty

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Noisy Gear Lever
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 22:20:21 »
Is it the Hi-Lo or main gear lever that rattles. If its the main gear lever it could be the lever itself.

Or if its the Hi-lo then try adjusting the linkage, it could be vibrating against the housing or you may need to remove the housing from the car clean it up and apply loads of thick grease!!

good luck.
Disco 300 Tdi 1996
If it breaks I can fix it !!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Noisy Gear Lever
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 22:27:59 »
As an aside, you really ought to make sure you have the right oil in your transfer box.

If it is an LT230 (has a manual diff lock), then it should have EP90
If it's a Borg & Warner box (only high/low, no diff lock), then it should have ATF

That's for UK spec vehicles, I'd need to check the Australian specs for any differences, but check your manual.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MUSKIE

Attack Member
Noisy Gear Lever
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 23:59:21 »
i had exactly this but it was only if you rested your hand on the lever whilst driving, i took the gear knob off and put some silicone sealer in it and that cured it. i was looking for something more serious than this and then discovered it.

Ausyrover

Relief!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 00:00:49 »
I think the silicon trick might be on the money! I tried digging through the never ending layers of soundproofing and rubber not to mention the 2 wiring harneses around the lever(it is the main gear shift) to try and find the root of the problem. Pretty sure the rubber matting under the centre console is now hard up against the lever since I shoved it all back together and the vibration has stopped!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Noisy Gear Lever
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 01:48:19 »
I seem to recall on ours that the ball on the bottom of the gearstick had worked loose and made it rattle, not to mention the gearchange being sloppy.  I think the gearbox is original and has done a starship mileage.  Blob of welding fixed it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline gnasha

Attack Member
  • Member No 1720
    • kettering
Noisy Gear Lever
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 09:10:56 »
is it just me but there is a lot of 1990 range rover on the road was it a good year or just a lot got sold bk then

Click our banner above to visit our forum
200tdi Landrover 90 200tdi disco what's left of it lol
http://gnasha1.talk4fun.net/ http://www.gnasha1.co.uk/ http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gnasha/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal