AuthorTopic: TD5 ABS and Traction control lights come on when driving  (Read 6195 times)

Offline landy4x4xfar

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 ABS and Traction control lights come on when driving
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:16:55 »
TD5 ABS and Traction control lights come on when driving

both come on at same time mainly when slowing down when backing off the throttle not using peddles, but always resets its self  if I switch off and restart engine

have checked all the pads and all OK and working fine

any ideas where to start looking first  :doh: :(

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
Re: TD5 ABS and Traction control lights come on when driving
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:39:44 »
Wheel bearings are a favourite - as the bearing starts to wear/collapse, it lets the hub move a bit, and the movement gets picked up by the ABS sensor, triggering a fault to be flagged as the system thinks the wheel sensor has gone south.

Could also be muck/mud/crud on the sensor face.

Can also be wear/intermittant break in the wiring to the wheel sensor.

Could also be one of the wheel sensors - but they are part and parcel of the hub.......so big bucks !

Have you stuck the truck onto some diags kit to see if any fault codes are being logged ?

My Disco went through a phase of 'the three amigos' coming on, it was logging a fault something like 'shuttle valve intermittant electrical fault' - the shuttle valve is in the ABS block, and that's about a grand for a new one  :shock:. You can get new shuttle valves for the earlier ABS modulators, but the later versions are sealed for life - guess which version I've got  :roll:. I've done nothing, just left it alone, and put up with the lights coming on every now and then.
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 13:27:48 »
Could also be one of the wheel sensors - but they are part and parcel of the hub.......so big bucks !

I thought you could get these seperately nowadays . . . . .  [-o<
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 17:55:43 »

I thought you could get these seperately nowadays . . . . .  [-o<

Hope so, cos the whole hub assembly is major wedge !

Does anyone know - can you get the ABS sensors separate from the rest of the metalwork ?
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline R2D2

Attack Member
  • "Old Tart" white, new "Jump-Jet" blue one 2xLPG
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 19:29:51 »
Jim,  not sure about Td5 but my Tdi RRC had same fault and I got one from a Rangie breakers for 25 Quid just plugged it in, got fault code removed,  and it's still working.

Hope this helps
Rgds  David
:smiley:

Gosh, this water's deep!!! Only comes half-way up that duck.

Offline landy4x4xfar

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 00:44:49 »
i think if fixed it tried all the above thanks for the ideas but to no the light still came on

but i noticed that the tyres were scrubbing off on the inside of both tyres not good (not very good at all since the tracking was done 2 months ago)
the two fronts are now a complete right off :-k

so had a look at the track rod ends they looked OK and where new 2 months back the reason i had it tracked up with the all singing and dancing laser Jobie
a friend off mine as a 110 as well so got out my tape measure noted the sizes then checked mine and blow me the tracking was 15mm too short  :-k on the steering bar between the wheels

the B******s  :evil: at the tyre place screwed up BIG TIME :( :( :( :(

so after adding 15mm to my bar and fitting my big big wheels i gave a dam good blast and bingo every thing is back to normal no lights no nothing every thing is sweet and even a slight speed Vibration as gone at 55mph its like a brand new truck again :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 
so what i should really be asking is the ECU that runs the land rover is it that cleaver that it know that they had screwed up and was trying to tell me that I had bean taken for a ride with the cost of track road end and tracking :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:  thanks all for the help :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal