AuthorTopic: Xenon Bulbs  (Read 1195 times)

Offline C C

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Xenon Bulbs
« on: February 21, 2009, 00:05:35 »
Well since getting an 03 Disco one of the dip-beam bulbs has blown.
I've see upgrade options on E-Bay and other sites for Xenon bulbs and other upgrades.

What's the view. Is it a worthwhile upgrade or a waste of money?

C C

TD5 Disco.
Kawasaki ZZR600.

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
Re: Xenon Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:57:39 »
Ive found a big diference the draw back is the life is not as long and they arnt cheep but the answer to your question invest they are worth it light the whole road up :lol: pepole dip there lights quicker
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Shabba277

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:09:47 »
I agree with carra, when I got my 99 TD5 it was one of the first things I changed as the lights were pants, I got mine from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/xenons_biz on E-bag, can't complain 1 bulb was sent out not working and they replaced it free of charge no quibbles, the whole kit was less than a tenner delivered, that was head lamp side lamp and spot lamps.  I would have posted the item link but your 03 will be different bulbs.  I say go for it you will not be disappointed def not a waste of money!!
Ady

Offline C C

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:01:33 »
Thanks for the info guys.
As I already had one bulb out I nipped down to that automotive wonderland known as Hlfords.

The choice available in the store was limited to sand Halogen or Halfords own brand Xenon range. I decided on Extreme Brilliance for the main beams and the slightly cheaper Super Brilliance for the dipped beam. Pardon the pun but on reflection I should have bought four of the same type to avoid confusion in the future.

The young woman at the till offered to have them fitted for me but I declined. That turned out to be a mistake. Using their guide in the store the bulbs for my car were H472. So I get home and pull the lights off only to find the bulbs did not fit. By now it was getting late in the afternoon so I had to drag my bike out of the garage and set off back to the store to exchange the bulb should have been H477. Needless to say the bulbs I needed were more expensive but wanting to get back before dark I didn't bother to argue the toss.

Anyway bulbs fitted now and yes they are brighter giving a nice white light. Country lane driving is excellent. B roads I notice I'm not seeing oncoming lights around the bends so soon. Just a question of how long a life they have in comparison to standard bulbs.

C C

TD5 Disco.
Kawasaki ZZR600.

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 20:09:51 »
Ive been told about 20% less than standerd but Ill let you no when our go pop
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 21:52:23 »
I bought some of those super Phillips things only to find they are no brighter than the standard ones in the Micra.  Most if not all new bulbs use Xenon gas technology nowadays so are brighter than bulbs of a few years ago.  I've yet to see a massive differnece in light outpur of any new bulb but compared to anb old bulb then yes I'd agree they make a difference.

My personal choice, HID.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline mac

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:34:30 »
My choice = 100w/80w H4's in my 51 TD5 (only off road of course).
Mac,  2010 Freelander 2 XS
2001 bog standard TD5 Disco - gone
1995 TDi 300 Disco - gone
1970 MGB Roadster

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal