AuthorTopic: another range rover wont start thread (sorry)  (Read 1008 times)

Offline chrisdisco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
another range rover wont start thread (sorry)
« on: February 11, 2009, 19:16:40 »
i bought a j reg range rover v8 yesterday, it had been sat outside my local garage for about 12 months, offered them £200 an they said yeah,  i put on a new battery an it fired up first time, i put some fuel in a took it home an parked it up,  went to try an start it when i got back from work earlyer an it just cranked over, an wont start,   :x :x   just seems like its gotta be something simple im not doing, as it was runnig great yesterday. :huh:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: another range rover wont start thread (sorry)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 19:59:24 »
There could be loads of things that have given up after the first drive in a year, you need to be methodicical in ensuring that everything works properly.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline bobtail 2 6

Attack Member
  • drive hard
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 20:40:40 »
it may of sucked some sh*t up from the fuel tank mate as its been sat for so long and then you put some fuel in may of stirred the tank up a bit .
v8

Offline chrisdisco

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 17:29:15 »
thanks for the reply,  i went out to try an start it today, and it started first time,   :huh: :huh:

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 17:38:05 »
How much "old" fuel was left in it ? Petrol loses a lot of ot's volatility as it gets older, that's one reason why the damn lawnmower doesn't start after lying in the garage over the winter, they reckon three month old petrol is no good and should be chucked away.

An idea anyway :roll:

Better than the guy i was with this morning whose 11 day old £50k plus RR V8 diesel just went "click" when he tried to start it this morning  :doh: :doh: Compounded by LR Assistance saying "sorry sir we don't have your vehicle registered on the system" when he rang for help, he was in luck though LR Experience at Skipton appeared with a RR Sport and a set of jump leads and away it went !!
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline TwoSheds

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:13:28 »
Better than the guy i was with this morning whose 11 day old £50k plus RR V8 diesel just went "click" when he tried to start it this morning  :doh: :doh: Compounded by LR Assistance saying "sorry sir we don't have your vehicle registered on the system" when he rang for help, he was in luck though LR Experience at Skipton appeared with a RR Sport and a set of jump leads and away it went !!
The way modern cars are going I am surprised that it can be started with a simple jump - doesn't it take £1000's worth of diagnostic gear to re-set the fault codes caused by the flat battery? :lol:

Back to the topic: As was said earlier - it could be so many things that a methodical approach is the only answer - sparks? fuel? etc.. Ironically, none of this helps if it's an intermittent problem and currently it's starting ok!

The first thing that pops into my head (due to personal experience) is that there may be an intermittent connection to the fuel pump, the second is that there may be a temperature sensor telling the ECU that it's -40oC or something and it's flooding with fuel - but neither of these are possible to diagnose without more info at the time of it not starting.

I guess that if it happened to mine I would disconnect the battery (resets any fault codes), check all ignition/fuel related wiring (including the in-tank pump and all temperature sensors), check and clean the plugs and all the high-tension side of the ignition (the plugs will also tell you if fuel is getting through) , check and/or replace the air-filter, take the fuel pipe off at the engine and check the flow/condition of the petrol (usual warnings apply) and after all that I would stand and scratch my head - that sometimes helps ;)

Roger

p.s. - well done for getting it for £200 - what are you going to do with it now?

TwoSheds: Getting More like Wesley every day!
(Wesley Pegden from Last of the Summer Wine)

Offline chrisdisco

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 16:24:08 »
gonna put it in for mot,  (see how rusty it is)   my m8 is going to weld it up,  then i'll put on a lift kit an some good mud tyres,  then see what ideas i get from there,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal