AuthorTopic: Smoking gun? (well breather actually)  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Greenlanekit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Smoking gun? (well breather actually)
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:14:09 »
Dear All , on a LR S3 the large breather on the left of the engine with a cap on it roughly about 1/3rd of the size of a coke can, if there is alot of smoke from buring oil, what would that be? pistons rings ? and if so how easy a job is it to replace them?

cheers..PS 24th April see my event ;-)
www.o-g-x.co.uk
'76 Blue S3 SWB Soft-top
'41 BSA M20

Offline iianorthants

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:52:55 »
worth just taking off all your breather pipes and giving them a good clean with petrol to remove all the crap .  including the tophat part on rocker cover. if glogged can cause oil to be sucked up ..... and worth a try as cheaper and easier then taking head off.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 11:26:53 »
If you have a lot of crank case pressure, ie take cap off and put your hand over the hole to see what resistance there is against it, gives you some idea, or do a compression check on the cyinders to make sure, mine was using oil, did a decoke and cut it down, compression was ok, but I think I have to replace the oil rings now, along with another carb, and it might actually run without the smoke screen then :lol:
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal