AuthorTopic: what have i done?  (Read 813 times)

Offline william127

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
what have i done?
« on: February 10, 2009, 18:32:03 »
after driving through some far too deep water today i now have white smoke and a rattle if i rev up hard in neutral, it drives fine and ticksover corectly, what have i done? will i be soon looking for an mot failed disco? its a 200tdi, thanks, william
1990 defender 127 flatbed 200tdi mud tyres stripdown started 14/03, now striped, ned to start the expensive bit
1992 rrc vogue se izuzu 2.8td running well so it got sold,
2003 110 td5 hardtop,ex mod, arived 25/04, bfg a/ts, ply lined, k and n filter, honda sport seats, rear demountable 2000lb winch, security grills,high lift with winching kit, mountney small steering wheel, momo gear knob, front spots, airhorns, hd steering, diff guard, ex army  center towpin bumper replaced with winch bumper, rear mounted bottle opener, cheaquer plate, neon underbody light, ex police map light,1000 watt inverter, reversing camera
2007 ford ranger wildtrack d/cab(dads)
yamaha big bear 350 2wd, likes to eat flies, fixed (until i roll it again)

Offline Blue72

Attack Member
Re: what have i done?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 18:45:15 »
after driving through some far too deep water today i now have white smoke and a rattle if i rev up hard in neutral, it drives fine and ticksover corectly, what have i done? will i be soon looking for an mot failed disco? its a 200tdi, thanks, william

YEP :)

although you may be lucky if you STOP driving it and disconnect all the pipes to tghe airbox and the oil breather pipe which no douct will be spitting out guey grey oilily gunk now.

run it with all that off and see what happens, some cure themsleves when the water has gone.
Worst case, you wil have bent a con rod or cracked a piston
Very worst case, hyrdo locked..ask zulue blue! :)

Cheers

Andy
Forum photographer :)

www.B72Imaging.com

Finding life with a V8 somewhat interesting!!

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 18:48:10 »
Could be a few things, but first don't rev the engine it will only make it worse.

I would do an oil change and see if you have water in there, or any part of the air system

You may have:

Knackered the turbo - see if there is any play in the fan, a little is OK about 0.3mm

Bent the pushrods - you may be able to see if they are bent without removal of the rocker shaft, take off the rocker cover put a 30mm socket on the crank and turn the engine over by hand, if not you will need to remove the  the rocker shaft - leave the bolts in the shaft so the rocker arms and springs stay in place, be careful not to lose the caps that sit on top of the valves, then take a look at the push rods on the left as you look at the engine.

I dare say someone else with have some additional ideas for you to check, but if its running you have been very lucky, I wasn't :angry:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 18:50:43 by zulublue »

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 20:36:21 »
Oh Will, what have you done now ????

Where was the water you were playing in ?

I did the little ford between Hooks Cross and Benington on the way back from Stevenage tonight - man, that was deep ! It's normally just a little water splash, but tonight it was well over 50yds long - and 'quite' deep in the middle.........got slightly wet feet now  :roll:

Is the Rangie ready to go ?
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline william127

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 20:48:29 »
you know the lower road near riverside garden centre(small clue there), went into a flood on the road, planning on stoping if it got too deep when the level suddenly rose a foot, would have been alright, but some idiot in a little beer delivery artic came the other way through at about 15mph. water was over the bonnet mounted spare wheel, measured the hieght at 4foot 8 inches. so may be laying up the landy for a full front end rebuild, on the plus side ill get a 9000 lb warn, kenlowe, diff guard and hd steering for the rangie.
1990 defender 127 flatbed 200tdi mud tyres stripdown started 14/03, now striped, ned to start the expensive bit
2003 110 td5 hardtop,ex mod, arived 25/04, bfg a/ts, ply lined, k and n filter, honda sport seats, rear demountable 2000lb winch, security grills,high lift with winching kit, mountney small steering wheel, momo gear knob, front spots, airhorns, hd steering, diff guard, ex army  center towpin bumper replaced with winch bumper, rear mounted bottle opener, cheaquer plate, neon underbody light, ex police map light,1000 watt inverter, reversing camera

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 20:54:10 »
Hmm, that's bad - thought that bit of the road was shut today though ?.........it was certainly very soggy last night along there !

To get water over your spare wheel, you must have got seriously wet feet  :twisted:
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline william127

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 21:06:08 »
yes it was still closed suprisingley dry feet, wierdly id just brought a 20 foot strop, it could be worse as id probably have needed a new engine and steering box for the mot in a couple of months time anyway, thinking i might buy another trailer, finish my garage, and rebuild everything from the tipper body forward over the next couple of years- maybe itll be ready for lochearnhead 2013 :twisted:?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal