AuthorTopic: jimny steering damper advise  (Read 2345 times)

Offline jamesey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • land rover recovery service.
  • Referrals: 0
jimny steering damper advise
« on: January 28, 2009, 20:16:41 »
hi ive got some off sett wheels on my jimny and ive now got my steering wobble back again ive been told to get a damper to cure this , ive seen them at kap for £60 but ive ended up getting one off a discovery at the scrap yard for £5
i just want to know where do i fasten it to on the steering arm and the chassis or panhard , i know ill have to make a bracket , if anyone has any pics that will be great

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Re: jimny steering damper advise
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 21:19:20 »
The kit (if its same as my pro-comp one) should come with brackets and instructions. But even then its a case of trial and error so you don't foul anything.
..V..

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 00:48:22 »
ive not got the kit glaggs ive just robbed one from a disco and need to know where its fitted on yours , does it fasted to the pitman then onto the chassis somwhere???

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 19:51:11 »
Mines no longer fitted but origionally it was fitted to the front steering  link on the Off side and the axel at the near side.
..V..

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 20:50:35 »
at the rear of the front axel or at the front side mate??

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 20:43:39 »
It all mounts towards the front. But you will have to do a lot of trial and adjustment under full articulation. Best to go to the Donington TOR 4x4 show and try and find one with a damper fitted to take pictures of. I took mine off after the castor correction mods cause it was knackered from contact with rocks and origionally the truck drove great. I occassionally get wheel wobble problems but prefer to sort them rather than hide them. If you don't do the castor correction mod then you do need the damper.
..V..

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 19:00:46 »
ive fitted it to the front steering arm near the pitman arm and fastend the other end to the passenger side front towwing eye area , its stopped the wobble but like you say i dont know about going off roading as it will need to move around with articulation , before i fitted it it seemed i had some play in the wheels from side to side when on full lock one way  , but then notice the steering pit man arm was moving aswell , do you know of any problems with the steering box?? also is where ive fitted the damper ok , ill try to get some pictures on here

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal