AuthorTopic: Transfer box  (Read 666 times)

Offline aaron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Transfer box
« on: January 13, 2009, 20:48:01 »
Not being a landy owner myself, i need some advice on behalf of a mate. His 93 model disco has thrown a front prop bearing and left him without a vehicle. So he has proposed to removed the front prop and use it as a rear wheel drive. Is this possible or will the transfer box just try to put drive to the easiest prop to turn,or not? Will it [!Expletive Deleted!] anything up etc etc? Thanks
Ford ranger, daily driver.
Porsche 924 ongoing project, yet to drive!!
Suzuki X90 off roader.........also a project!!!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
Re: Transfer box
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 21:46:43 »
As long as he puts it in Diff lock, (small lever in front of main lever, then he can drive it on 2wd...... works when removing the front OR rear prop........ just tell him to be careful, as it chages the way it will drive, and also should only be considered a very temporary measure,......
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 00:24:52 »
Not sure if it's the same on the LT230 but on mine if you only drive the rear wheels then the drive goes through the centre diff all the time because the difflock is on the front output.

The upshot is that if you drive like a loon you might bust something eventually.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:38:55 »
As everyone has said above, ive driven mine without (at seperate times !!!) front and rear props but they do drive differently, without the rear prop in my disco would spin its front tyres in the damp  8-[

Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline aaron

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 17:31:26 »
Hi guys thank you all for your words of wisdom!!! Will let my mate know the good news! And i will strongly advise its only to be used as a temporary measure!
Ford ranger, daily driver.
Porsche 924 ongoing project, yet to drive!!
Suzuki X90 off roader.........also a project!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal