AuthorTopic: Leak or condensation?  (Read 10797 times)

Offline stefan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Leak or condensation?
« on: December 04, 2003, 17:14:33 »
Me again! I replaced the door seals on the 90 the other day, which should hopefully stop some water ingress (except from the rusted door bottoms), the doors certainly need a bit more of a shove to close than they used too! However, I've always had water dripping on to the top of the door, which appears to be coming from up inside the headlining, I've run a bead of silicone around the frame of the sunroof outside, and smeared the rubber seal with vaseline after giving it a good clean. I reckon the water is condensation, sometimes there is loads which comes cascading down if I come out of the drive at a slight angle. Who else has this problem (I know it's not just me!!), I've heard somewhere about removing the headlining and placing insulation between it and the roof, or could it be water leaking in from elsewhere? Any thoughts?

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline Ben

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 21:12:31 »
Hi Stef

I don't suppose you've got air vents above your rear door have you?

I'm assuming you've got a full length headlining if you're a CSW. The water can enter through the rear vents, and then run along the inside of the headlining (where the roof meets the sides) and then drip out at the front of the vehicle. Especially if you park slightly downhill...

Thankfully I don't have too many leaks on my 90 at the moment. Long may it continue!!!

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: Leak or condensation?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 21:29:04 »
Quote from: "stefan"
. Who else has this problem (I know it's not just me!!), I've heard somewhere about removing the headlining and placing insulation between it and the roof, or could it be water leaking in from elsewhere? Any thoughts?

hehehe

All the time :-)

I get condensation coming down by the sides of the lining.

On my Series 3 I cured it by gluing polystyrene to the roof and lining the whole thing.  When everything dries out, I will so something similar to the 90 and then put the headlining back in over the top. (Might even invest in a posh LaSalle jobbie)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline stefan

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 07:43:53 »
Ben,

Being a 'proper' CSW it does have the rear vents and full headlining. If I seal up the vents, is it best from the outside or inside and has anyone done this? What did you use? I suppose I could just seal them with silicone sealer?

Stef

P.S My drive looks bare without the 90, can't wait to get it back!!!!!
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 08:40:35 »
I have a similar problem with my 90, water comes only came in when it was raining and on the move, it never came in while the vehicle was stationary. (Strange!) I have put a small deeding of silicone around the outside of the seal of the sunroof, which has stopped the rain coming in, but still have a condensation problem. It’s a common thing with Defenders; everyone I know has the same thing. I was thinking of installing air vents above the rear door as it has been suggested that this might cure the condensation problem. But reading your comments it might start the rain coming in again.

Offline Ben

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 22:08:51 »
Try here:

http://threads.lro.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=defender&Number=323641&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5

Thankfully mine's a truck cab at the moment, but I've just check the hard top I've bought, and it's got a county roof to it, so I'm going to have to be prepared for leaks  :(

I do have a leak now though on the truck cab. My CB aerial mount has worked loose...

Hope this helps

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 18:01:15 »
I have found the main source of water leaking onto the floor in mine. Its the seals around the fresh air vents - adrift and misaligned along the top edge of the vent in places and letting the water just pour in!    it runs down the bulkhead straight onto the floor.

just fixing them now coincidently!

mine also gets shed loads of condensation on the roof   - if anyone has any solutions to this I would be keen to know

thanks
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline stefan

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 20:09:07 »
A quick, cheap and working fix is to get some carpet, cans of spray adhesive and cover the whole roof with carpet, stops condensation and reduces noise too, plan to take my headlining down and do mine asap.

Stef

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 02:48:34 »
The back of my hardtop 90 has it's own micro-climet
last year i even had mushrooms growing on the sound deadening stuff :?
a mate solved the prob in his 90 by glueing carpet to the roof
He dident stop the sun roof leaking so he took it out & fixed a sheet of ali over the hole
bit extreme but he never used it enyway
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

Offline stefan

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 08:24:00 »
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I found the source of the leak on mine. I took all the headlining out and then gave the 90 a thorough hose down. There were no leaks from the sunroof, the roof had no signs of any previous condensation, but I did notice water on the drivers side, dripping in by the interior rail that runs from left to right, along the cab and rear roof seam, it then ran along the interior gutter and collected in a large pool at the back, my drive slopes back with a slight camber to the drivers side, and when I have reversed back the water has run forward along the gutter and poured out from the front corner of the headlining!

I dried out the water and using some white silicone sealer sealed the gap where the cab roof meets the rear roof, along both sides where the roof ribs run front to back, along the gutter on both sides and around the front windscreen. Just been out to check as we've had some pretty hefty rainfall here this morning and both interior gutters are bone dry!!

I have enclosed pics of where I sealed.

Stef

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Leak or condensation?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 11:07:28 »
Stefan, the 110Tdi Hard-Top I used to own leaked as well when it rained.
All the water would run around the internal channels/folds in the roof-assembly & eject itself just above your knee.

After several visits to the dealer (Copley Motors, Halifax) & 2 complete door-seals & a windscreen-rubber no difference was apparant.

Eventually during a (very,very) rare wash (we were going to a Wedding) I noticed that where the work-lamp had been bolted to the vertical section of the roof-panel above the rear off-side window that all the gutter-sealant had split & dried.

The lamp bracket had pulled down upon fixing & moved the gutter-rail cracking the sealant.

50p of Silicone ensured not a dribble until the day I sold it over 3years later :D
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
Leak or condensation?