AuthorTopic: 2nd hand warranty  (Read 503 times)

Offline 3laner

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2nd hand warranty
« on: January 04, 2009, 16:08:39 »
Looking at a rather smart disco td5 ES and I'm very tempted,  The small trade seller is offering a 12 month warranty to try and seal the deal. Is this as good as it sounds ie if the fuel pump/air suspension or anything else goes in the next 12 months will I need to pay anything?
thinking of getting him to fax over a copy of the small print to look for any get out clauses.
1994 300 tdi Defender-SOLD
2002 TD5 Defender 90 Monte Carlo Blue: IRB stage 2 tuned and intercooled-SOLD
2005 Golf GTi 200- Landyless :(

ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MY NEXT 4x4
www.irbdevelopments.com

Offline carbore

Attack Member
Re: 2nd hand warranty
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 16:32:55 »
It depends on both the Dealer and the Warranty Company..

The dealers warrenty is basically a mechanical failure insurace policy provided by someone like Warranty Holdings. The dealer pays for this on your behalf when they sell you the car and that cost is taken into account in the dealer price.

No as with any insurance policy the insurer will as you say have small print. The classic is this "does not cover ware and tear or faults present at time of manufacturer", well what then does it cover.

If you have a problem and take the car back to the dealer he will assess it then claim the warranty, the warrenty co may say No (if they are shirkers) and you are now dependent on the deaer to make a stand on your behlaf e.g. threaten to use someone else, make a fulls about it being not ware and tare etc.

Both me and some friends haev had good experiances with expensive warrenty repairs, but both instances were from dealers with exceptionally good reputations.

I think the AA sell a "private" warrenty on a similar basis that is allegedly very good.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 16:43:17 »
Also have a look at the maximum amount payable per claim, and the maximum total claims in a year.  It's nowhere near as simple as if something goes wrong they'll pay for it.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 21:14:53 »
I can vouch for a dealers second hand warranty (if LR) - it covers most major failures, but not fault finding - so make sure it fails first  :rolleyes:

As for the actual vehicle warranty - spot on. Got a new gearbox for the SC - no charge ... woohoo
--
Neil

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:41:01 »
I had a mate bought a Celica with one of those warranties and a wheel bearing whent.  They did offer to have it fixed but then charged him 50% of the repair cost becasue they said it wa "to the betterment of the vehicle" How exaclty I don't know :-k
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal