AuthorTopic: Won't start - here we go again.....  (Read 4342 times)

Offline davidjmiller

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Won't start - here we go again.....
« on: January 03, 2009, 15:04:35 »
Ok so my 300Tdi auto Disco won't start again on cold mornings. Had this problem last winter, changed the battery and basically everything was ok. i say basically bacuase although it did not let me down again until this December, it always sounds weak on starting. It did not ever fill me with confidence - even in summer. (In contrast my moaning wife's flaming Clio has started every time immediately since we bought it 8 years ago!!!).

So once again this winter after not being used for a few days over a very cold period the car would not start (I usually cycle to work so it can be left all week - poor thing!!) . glow plugs wer given sufficient time to warm, battery sounded weak and died before it could start. borrowed jump cables from neighbour, hooked to said, very annoying Clio, started amazingly fast.

Three weeks later (today) I'm in the same boat except Neighbour is away for w/e. Battery now flat (just tried to start it with accelerator pressed to to encourage fuel flow). So it seems I have two thnigs to sort out....

(i) Get it started. I have no contingency when it fails so need to buy some jump leads (will cause consternation from Wifey as she does not like to share. Note the full stop :D :D) or some kind of power pack. So, should I buy leads or a pack or perhaps both. If so do I need something in particular (can somebody provide a link please to something they have and are happy with - cheers!) I'm leaning towards the pack as I hate not being sulf-sufficient!!!

(ii) stop it happening again. Reading some threads on here it seems bad earthing of the battery coud be the problem. So if I get a jump lead and temporarily connect it from the negative of the battery to the chassis to provide a second earth and leave it there for a couple weeks to the next cold spell - is that a good idea???

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Cheers,

David
1986 110 coniston green LPG-powered 3.5LV8   --- gone, gone, gone. Replaced by 300Tdi auto DISCO

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Re: Won't start - here we go again.....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 15:54:17 »
if its going flat all the time you could have a drain on the battery, my kids used to flick on the interior light in the boot when they were in there which would flat the battery so i disconnected it
could be draining through alternator as well you would need to test it for current draw when the key is off, but saying that if i leave mine for 2 weeks it will be hard to start which is normal for it
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline william127

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 16:24:28 »
machine mart do a power pack for up to4ltr diesels for £93.94, the only trouble is remembering to keep it charged :roll: mines a sealey that came free with a trolley jack :)
1990 defender 127 flatbed 200tdi mud tyres stripdown started 14/03, now striped, ned to start the expensive bit
1992 rrc vogue se izuzu 2.8td running well so it got sold,
2003 110 td5 hardtop,ex mod, arived 25/04, bfg a/ts, ply lined, k and n filter, honda sport seats, rear demountable 2000lb winch, security grills,high lift with winching kit, mountney small steering wheel, momo gear knob, front spots, airhorns, hd steering, diff guard, ex army  center towpin bumper replaced with winch bumper, rear mounted bottle opener, cheaquer plate, neon underbody light, ex police map light,1000 watt inverter, reversing camera
2007 ford ranger wildtrack d/cab(dads)
yamaha big bear 350 2wd, likes to eat flies, fixed (until i roll it again)

Offline mass199

Attack Member
    • Wye Valley
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 16:34:04 »
Left mine for two weeks over christmas went out to start it and the battery is flat. Also the steering box is leeking.

I don't think they like being sat and not used, it's even worse in freezing weather.

Well that's my opinion
Herefordshire LRC

Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. All been smashed in MX crashes.

Offline william127

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 16:51:06 »
definatley agree with that mine used to do about 5000 miles a year when my dad owned it, now does 4 times that and never refuses to start,the mecanich comments on it every time he has it :D :D
1990 defender 127 flatbed 200tdi mud tyres stripdown started 14/03, now striped, ned to start the expensive bit
1992 rrc vogue se izuzu 2.8td running well so it got sold,
2003 110 td5 hardtop,ex mod, arived 25/04, bfg a/ts, ply lined, k and n filter, honda sport seats, rear demountable 2000lb winch, security grills,high lift with winching kit, mountney small steering wheel, momo gear knob, front spots, airhorns, hd steering, diff guard, ex army  center towpin bumper replaced with winch bumper, rear mounted bottle opener, cheaquer plate, neon underbody light, ex police map light,1000 watt inverter, reversing camera
2007 ford ranger wildtrack d/cab(dads)
yamaha big bear 350 2wd, likes to eat flies, fixed (until i roll it again)

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 16:55:20 »
Mine 300tdi was left for a week between xmas and New Year and when I went to start it there just wasn't enough power to turn it over fast enough. Stuck it on charge for an hour and it fired up straight away...!!! I was going to see about getting the battery replaced as it's still under guarentee as I feel it should still be able to start the Disco after a few days of going nowhere but after reading the above maybe there is nothing wrong with the battery and it's just normal...!!!! I'm now slightly confused....lol

Mark.
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline davidjmiller

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 20:04:07 »
Seems to me there are reasonable number of people who have this problem, maybe there's a small design fault that makes it easy for the electricity to be lost.

It reminds of that TopGear that was on Dave 37 times over xmas where the boys spend £10K on a supercar and James keepsrunning of electricity!!!

So, I'd be interested to know how mant people on here have a 300 Tdi and do n't have this problem??

Cheers,

David

1986 110 coniston green LPG-powered 3.5LV8   --- gone, gone, gone. Replaced by 300Tdi auto DISCO

Offline J B

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 21:34:51 »
my 300tdi was a lazy starter, but not since i bought 2 of the biggest batteries that would fit in the trays and hooked them up parrellel

now i can leave it for weeks and it starts no problem even in this weather
300tdi disco

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 22:03:49 »
Ours is lazy too
And its an auto!
Weird  :-k

Offline hrox

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 22:24:43 »
Mines seriously lazy and even though it's used every day i got out in the cold and try and start it, it starts but you can hear the lack of power that is there as the starter motor trys to turn.  Last year i had to give up and leave the car in the winter as it would just not start at all and i ended up being late for work.

1998 300tdi es Auto
Jamie, Shell & the Ankle Biters
--------------------------------------------------
1998 Disco 1
How much fun do you Have in yours???

Dont Steal, The Goverment Hates Competition!

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 22:40:42 »
Yeah ours is used daily too
And we have to use the glow plugs like 5 times in order for it to start!
Sometimes 10 in the cold
But its never failed just taken ages haha
Bless them!

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 22:59:25 »
I've been having greif with mine the last few weeks (in the cold) I've now put a new battery in it, and I changed the glow plugs today.. when i tested the old glow plugs all 4 were dead.. so i've been trying to turn over a stone cold engine all this time... :(
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 23:52:43 »
My 300 which has no mot started first time today, and has been parked up for 4 weeks, only started twice in that period! lol

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 23:54:58 »
My 300 which has no mot started first time today, and has been parked up for 4 weeks, only started twice in that period! lol

well bully for you  ;)
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 23:57:39 »
Not really, its going to a new home tomorrow :(

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 15:00:22 »
For someone that is hugging trees as I write this post as I am bound to jinx myself now!!! :lol:

I used to have this trouble. I "THINK" I have cured it. My disco doesnt start more than a few times a month. I left it on a farm from Dec23rd-jan 2nd it is started first time. They way I cured it.

I bought a solar pannel off flee bay and wired it to the live wire for caravans in the boot and stuck the pannel in the alpine light. IT trickle charges the battery so keeps it topped up from what ever drainage comes out of it. About £5-10 to buy.

Last year I bought a td5 battery for bigger turn over speed. It JUST fits with a bit of pushing in various areas etc but it does fit. Secure with cable ties. It is fine for an mot to use cable ties.

My disco was still lazy even now. then I changed the glow plugs and WOW. So far no problems.

Mine is a 300tdi auto as well.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 15:05:17 »
WEAK STARTER MOTOR. COLD ENGINE WILL SUCK THE POWER. TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline davidjmiller

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 16:32:02 »
WEAK STARTER MOTOR. COLD ENGINE WILL SUCK THE POWER. TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: bought some heavy duty jump cables this morning, went to jump it from Wifey's Clio and ............. nothing. Clicking starter motor and the odd beep from the alarm/mobilisor but that's it.

Have been waiting for RAC man for 2¾ hours now. Next time I'll tell them I need to be somewhere soon and not be so honest!!!!

I've got a horrible feeling it's the starter motor but I think I'll learn how to change the glow plugs whilst I'm at it.

David
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 16:35:22 by Frankie-Boy »

Offline meader

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 16:40:26 »
ill be very surprissed if you can jump start a landy off a clio small engine and also a small battery i tried it on a fiesta and manged to stall the fiesta from draining to much power
i only go in as far as my nuts

Offline davidjmiller

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 16:59:32 »
ill be very surprissed if you can jump start a landy off a clio small engine and also a small battery i tried it on a fiesta and manged to stall the fiesta from draining to much power

did it last time - it fired up straight away!!!

Offline meader

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 17:30:35 »
glad it worked for you as i said didnt work for me bloody landrovers lol
i only go in as far as my nuts

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 17:43:53 »
when I had issues I was jump starting off my rover 620 with a 2L engine and that did it most of the time but then xmas eve 07 it wouldnt start. Bought a new battery for disco and it started perfectly.

So I guess the clio will do the job if the battery has some juice in it but if it is totaly dead you will need to leave the clio running for about 30mins to charge the disco battery up and then try again.

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline davidjmiller

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 17:53:02 »
Right just had an excellent RAC man here - very helpful and worth the wait.

Car started off his double-batteried van with jump leads about 3 ft wide. Whilst he was here he seemed to test everything. Alternator good, battery good, thinks glow plugs are ok based on how it started. However, starter motor is taking approx 3 x the power it should need out of the battery (320 somethings!!!). New starter required. I think they are about £70 then about 1 hrs labour???

He also told me which belt was making all the racket, he squirted water on each of them and listened for the sound to change. New main drive auxiliary belt required. That will be another hour's labour??

Anyway, car running on drive now to recharge battery. Let's see how we get on in the morning. All good fun and games!!

David

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 19:52:53 »
He also told me which belt was making all the racket, he squirted water on each of them and listened for the sound to change. New main drive auxiliary belt required. That will be another hour's labour??

When you say main drive aux belt do you mean the one going to alternator etc? If so this REALLY is a 5 minute job if you get the right belt. If you can cope until end of Jan I am seeing KTM Gordo in Camberidge and I will do it for nothing for you. (as long as your not the opposite end of Camberidgeshire to him :lol: ) All you need is a socket and breaker bar on the self adjusting pretensioner belt.

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 16:03:23 »

I've jump started my Disco from my lttle Clio before - but the battery in the disco wasn't completly dead, just didn't have enough power to turn the engine over quickly enough.

And as said above - the auxiliary belt for the alternator is really easy to change.

Mark.
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 17:33:29 »
i carry a spare battery and a set of jump leads in mine!  :roll:

helped me when up in the lakes last week!

my old range rover had a twin battery set up and guarantee'd it would only start on the third turn of the key when cold, but then when i sold it, the owner came back and said it wont start! evidently the starter was burnt out.

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 21:42:27 »
I had something similar, but when I looked at the battery clamp it was touching one of the battery posts, so it must have been draining through that. relocated it and problem solved :D
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline davidjmiller

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 21:58:19 »
Cycled to work today (don't ask) so after tea thought I'd take it for a ride. Having been left for 24 h in the v cold it started quite well first time - though still sounded like it was struggling. book it into the village garage to have a new starter motor on it Thursday.

So I go for a bit of a drive to charge it up and after 20 mnis when I pull onto the A14 for the second time I'm up at about 60-65 and I'm thinking - it's noisy..... then I notice it's revving at about 3000 rpm and I can't remember the tourque thingy cutting in at 52 mph!!

Does that sound right or am I just getting paranoid now????

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 10:11:40 »
Mine has just refused to fire for the first time since I've had it. It's -4c outside and the car has been stood for around a week.

Just put the old battery (which I hung onto to power lighting in a cupboard at home) on charge, hopefully it'll have enough oomph to get it running. Same symptoms as everyone else - engine didn't spin fast enough to fire and eventually the battery ran out of enthusiasm.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 13:41:22 »
Plan B. Borrowed battery from parents motorhome and it fired first time.

The motorhome spends most of winter plugged into the mains with a trickle charger feeding both the vehicle and leisure batteries. Given I seem to be able to pick up a trickle charger from ebay for about £13 I am seriously considering doing so, as the motorhome invariably fires on the first turn come spring!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal