AuthorTopic: LPG problems  (Read 636 times)

Offline Reggieroo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Nr Pershore, Worcestershire
  • Referrals: 0
LPG problems
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:46:15 »
The other day I left the petrol station after filling up with £29 worth of LPG & the gauge registered empty, I just thought it was a fault with the gauge as they are known to be tempermental. I got round the corner from my Village & the rangie cut out like it had ran out of gas. After a few attempts it started reluctantly (only runs on gas) & just as I got it on my drive it went again. Checked the gauge on the tank & it read just over the empty, the lights on the dash also read empty, just one light. I then tapped the gauge on the tank & it dropped right down past zero.

Any one got any ideas?

I can't quite work it out as I stood there & put in £29 of gas, the only thing out of the ordinary was that the pump didn't cut off as normal when the tank is full & my Fiancee said she could smell LPG in the rangie while I was at the end of filling up but also heard the gas going into the tank, must have filled up too much & vented out of a safety valve I guess. So it should have gas in there but its not showing & also still won't start.
1993 3.9 V8 Range Rover Classic
Audi 4.2 V8 S6 Quattro

For a taste of Ireland delivered direct to your door www.theirishshop.co.uk

My 4x4 websites.
www.offroad4x4s.com
www.offroadrangerovers.com
www.offroadlandrovers.com

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
Re: LPG problems
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 13:06:04 »
two things I had happen with mine, when the gauge started playing up found the black (and yes live on the gauges on ours both arelive) and they run two lives our did , once conected up again gauge worked well and rangi also ran better, the other thing is it might be is your main feed pipe may of come adrift  just a couple of thing I had problems with on mine hope this helps
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 23:47:55 »
How old is the tank? a bunch of tanks were recalled because the sender has a fuseable plug in it and they were faulty, mine was leaking slowly but it was days form giving up the ghost totaly.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Rossko

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:50 »
Your problems may or may not be related... but a faulty earth to the tank valve would give you both a misreading dashboard gauge and a non-opening valve.   It only takes a nick in the cable under the car, and road salt will eat the copper.

I suspect your tank gauge unit may read the other way to what you think, some types are not at all clear - hence the tap causing it to 'drop' might have put it on 'full'.
GLASS

Offline Reggieroo

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 14:17:04 »
I have a feeling it may be electrical as I 'm also having other electrical problems which I've had for some time but the LPG has been fine until now.
The tank itself is fairly old I would imagine as it was on the vehicle when I bought it & I know the previous owner had it for some years on LPG.
Audi 4.2 V8 S6 Quattro

My 4x4 websites.
www.offroad4x4s.com

Offline Reggieroo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:32:23 »
Now the battery is completely flat, it has only sat their since the 30th December. It was nearly flat the other week when I left it for a while & the battery is not that old either. I think the rangie needs an auto electrician to have a good look.
Audi 4.2 V8 S6 Quattro

My 4x4 websites.
www.offroad4x4s.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal