AuthorTopic: Help wanted  (Read 7772 times)

Offline Arthur Daily

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help wanted
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:07:14 »
Hi all

Not sure if this is the right section to post this :-k but here goes any way

I am considering getting back in to offroading after a time out of it, now i would like a TD5 Disco and was wondering what are the pros and cons of using one as an off roader, it wont be used as a daily driving vehicle, so mods are not a problem, is there anything i should look for and any thing to steer clear of

I am contemplating a w reg commercial vehicle

All comments greatly recieved

Arthur
Discovery TD5 commercial
Defender 110 300 TDI

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Re: Help wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:12:40 »
Good truck, very happy with mine.

Head gasket failures seem to be much more common than people realise.  Chassis rustproofing is substandard so check the chassis is decent and get it waxoyled if you want to protect it.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Arthur Daily

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 20:39:37 »
Thanks mate for your reply :thumbup:

Looks like no one else has an opinion on the subject!
Discovery TD5 commercial
Defender 110 300 TDI

Offline TicTac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 20:57:56 »
i mite just be a bit simple but i like my old 200tdi. theres so much electrickery on td5 to go wrong.

am i wrong?  for off roading anyway?  i suppose if u know ur way round a landrover properly( here i hang my head in shame) cos i dont nd i quite a newbe a td5 would be ok but for me a simple person give me a socket set, big hammer, and a haynes manual nd i be ok with me old faithful 200tdi!!!!!
Discovery 200 tdi (converted from mpi)
Bog standard at present.......roll on christmas!!!!
  www.offroadpower.co.uk

Offline Mud-muncher1

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 23:40:21 »
300'sit's all pretty straight forward - engine, breaks, accelerator and good old fashioned springs, with newer models you have TOO many electric's, NO true feel of what the car is doing and those silly air bags as suspention, but thats only my opinion, as for reliability it's really down to who own's it, how they maintain it and what they do with it

Jav
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, then reverse over it...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 06:04:15 »
People have a bad opinon of thre TD5 because of some high profile problmes but in truth it's been one of LRs most successful engines.  The one thing you might regret with the Dii is the rear overhand for an off roader, all the extra length is behind the rear wheels.  Also the rear suyspension is radius arms so a lot stiffer.  When interviewed SCK did admit that giovent he chance he would have changed the rear end of the RRC anyway, so whether you view it as the car RRC should have been or more towards a soft-roader than hardcore off-roader is a matter of opinion.

Very capable car for most occasions and when it gets stuck there's usually someone to tow you ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Arthur Daily

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 17:09:27 »
Thanks guys for your replys, i reckon you are right about the D1's being easier to repair and more akin to the old Landrover, but you have to move on and thats why i have bought one!

I think that it will probably be more of a soft roader rather than a fully blown animal go anywhere type, but what mods would people recommend?

The first thing i have noticed is the fuel filter behind the rear wheel, looks to be in a vulnerable place, and also under the drivers door there seems to be some sort of complicated valve block arrangement, does this need protection, and what about the electrics, do they need some sorting.

The overhang at the back is going to cause a few problems compared to a 90, but then at the difference in comfort out weighs it, in my opinion,

Mine has got springs all around, no air con, but it has ACE,ABS and no diff lock :-k how is this going to make a difference, or will i just use the winch a bit more than i used to :oops:
Discovery TD5 commercial
Defender 110 300 TDI

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 17:28:28 »
It'll be fine;  you'll surprise yourself when you try it off road.

There's a compressor and valve block for the ACSLS roughly below the passenger seat (on a RHD vehicle);  not entirely sure what would be on the other side, particularly if you don't have ACSLS on yours.  I thought the ACE gubbins was all under the bonnet, but not having ACE I'm not totally sure.

The fuel filter does look vulnerable but mine's been OK so far!  There's not much you can do about the electrics apart from try to keep the thing in a reasonable depth of water.  I've heard of people extending the ECU loom and locating the ECU in the cab, but if you're going that far then you may as well buy an old 200tdi and use that instead.

The Traction Control will work fairly well but remember you have to give it a bit of welly so it has something to work with.  If you want to fit a centre diff lock check your gearbox to see if it has the spigot on top;  if so, Ashcrofts sell a kit to add the linkage / lever in.  Their website has details of the spigot & relevant gearboxes.  I only use the diff lock to take the pressure off the TC when driving considerable distances on soft surfaces;  only once has it got me out of trouble where the TC wasn't up to the job (cross axled and for some reason it wasn't playing ball).

Regarding mods, the first thing to go for is a decent set of tyres;  you may also want to fit QT diff guards, the Southdown ones fit a treat, and then think about a steering guard which will also protect the spoiler to some extent.  Or just get a winch bumper...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 17:30:34 by thermidorthelobster »
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 20:10:23 »
Discomummy has a V8 DII and itgoes pretty much anywhere I can go (sometimes on the other end of a rop mind ;))

A decent tank guard would be an idea, some diff guards too.  The rest is a matter of taste but if you don't have air on the back perhaps a lift?

I suspect that as you have ACE the air has been removed form the back end :-k  anyone know for sure?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 20:24:10 »
our TD5 has been 100% reliable! its not far behind my bobtail when offroad. my next vehicle WILL be a TD5 i think there that good!

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 20:25:22 »
That's the tank guard you need Arthur, looks like a SOuthdown style one.  Like the back bumper too :)

Offline Arthur Daily

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 17:41:51 »
Thanks guys for your help and suggestions so far, i will be getting some under body protection etc, and a set of rock sliders,and a new rear bumper, it has allready had a 2"lift and has a winch and winch bumper, as well as some other mods that it has got,  i will post a pic when i get time

As for anything else i will see how i get on

Boss that is a nice looking mota, what has been done to it? other than what i can see

Regards Arthur
Discovery TD5 commercial
Defender 110 300 TDI

Offline davidjmiller

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 17:05:44 »
Great buy - I'm sure it will be stunner. Check out the (lack of) rust protection underneath and budget to do something about it soon. With the more modern LR's that I've looked at, they seem to have paid less and less attention to this with every year!!!!

Beyond that....enjoy!!!

David
1986 110 coniston green LPG-powered 3.5LV8   --- gone, gone, gone. Replaced by 300Tdi auto DISCO

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 19:01:38 »
Arthur its been tuned to about 200 BHP and 320 torques centre difflock has been fitted and slotted/drilled brakes. we went greenlaneing today and had it in a 2ft deep bog but it kept on chuggin :D

www.artoffroad.com

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 03:11:44 »
200 BHP, that's awesome :D that's 4.2 V8 power :-o

Offline Arthur Daily

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 09:28:36 »
200 horses, that's impressive :grin: where did you get the rear bumper from?, have you cut the arches away or is that standard with just after market arches added? and the have you lifted it by 2" or more? sorry for all the questions but i have to start somewhere :roll:

David i have checked out the "lack off under body protection" and it will be having some rust treatment in the summer :thumbup:
Discovery TD5 commercial
Defender 110 300 TDI

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 12:27:50 »
impressive yes....i remain saying that is has 200/320 but my dad seems to thing its more like  220/360 ....im not so sure on that but its his car so im not going to argue! :lol: i think it also sounds better than a v8 :D

it has had a 2" lift and the arces have been cut...alot! hes running 34" jungle trekkers and they only just fit. when it flexes you can hear the tyres catching the arches a little toying with the idea of puttin an extra lift on there. rear bumper is from devon 4x4 south down tank guard fits in really niceley with it.
the camera that took those photos is shockingley bad! it just wont get and perspective right and you cant really see how nice the disco is. will try to get some better ones taken soon.
it is very unlikeley i am going to be able to reply to this thread again for some weeks as im packing the last of my stuff up and moving to saffron walden
if you want to know more about it pm me and should be able to write quick emails at work.

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:25 »
The 'complicated valve block' up by the chassis rail under the drivers door is where all the ACE pipework meets up - can be the cause of interesting noises if a stone gets stuck between the block and the chassis rail !

I've got ACE and rear SLS on mine - never had any problems off road, other than the limits imposed by the tow bar  :roll:
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline Arthur Daily

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 07:30:50 »
Thanks to everyone for there help so far :thumbup: cheers jimbo for the info on the valave block, do you think that it needs protecting?

I have had a look at some of the 4x4 shop web sites and have found some excellent under body protection stuff, looks like my bank balance will take a battering as well now!

I am taking it to a quarry p&p site on sunday to give it a try, i will get more of an idea of what is required then by how much i brake on it :roll:

if anyone can think of any good shop sites to look at then let me know.

Regards Arthur
Discovery TD5 commercial
Defender 110 300 TDI

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 18:39:18 »
Arthur, 80% of the stuff on our disco is from devon 4x4 the rest is from southdown. give devon4x4 a ring and have a chat, nice lot and very helpfull :thumbup:

www.artoffroad.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal