AuthorTopic: stuck in gear  (Read 1954 times)

Offline snorkley

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
stuck in gear
« on: December 13, 2008, 16:59:33 »
hi there hope i can get some help on here with a problem with a friends series three 1981 x reg 109 diesel,before i attempt a fix on it,he has had problems with gearbox/transferbox/diffs,garages have "fixed it" but i personally dont think they really knew what they were doing,any way it was ok for a wee while but now if you put it in reverse it jams in gear and wont move backwards or forwards the only way to get it out of gear is to jack it up and jerk wheel back and forward until frees up and then it comes out of gear,it drives in forward gears fine,any ideas before i go mental trying to sort it,bare in mind it has had work done on gearbox,cheers gus
2001 disco td5 monte carlo blue defender 90 300tdi 2 inch lift etc,bonati grey

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Re: stuck in gear
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 17:33:53 »
it sounds tome he has it in high range 4wd (yellow lever down if i remember rightly) and so he is getting transmition wind up. I would suggest he checks it is in 2wd and try it again. Pull the red lever all the way back then forward.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline snorkley

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 18:38:36 »
ok will try that,but only as i know it is only used of road on the farm so its possible he keeps it in four wheel drive mostly,also i forgot to mention it has very wide tyres on it as it was converted to a crop sprayer but now only has a flat bed,so it is possible the transmission has wound itself up? i have a defender so not really familiar with the series landys,cheers gus

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 18:44:16 »
if he has had it in 4x4 all the time then i would suggest he drives it about in 2wd for a bit especially if it is on tarmac.

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline snorkley

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 19:33:39 »
ok,some people suggest driving it in circles back and forwards for a while? and its not really on tarmac but the ground its used on is fairly hard

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 19:39:36 »
just driving onto soft ground will sometimes unwind it. Any hard terain will lock it up as you say but I was thinking farm, this time of year, hard surfaces! Only thing that came to mind was tarmac  :lol:.

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 12:29:25 »
i dont think that the problem is transmission windup
you say you've (or the owner) has jacked up a wheel, if so that will release any windup straight away.

it sounds to me like the gearbox is selecting reverse AND a forward gear at the same time, and locking the whole gearbox up, which would point to a problem with the selectors on the top of the gearbox.
to look at this, the first step is to take out the transmission tunnel and watch the selectors as you engage reverse, and see if any of the other selectors are moving too
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline snorkley

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 20:03:50 »
you know what, that sounds more like the problem, as i said it has been to a couple of garages,so its been in bits a couple of times,it only goes a couple of feet in reverse then jams solid ie wont move forward or back and gear selector stuck solid in reverse,so when he jacks up wheel and moves back and forward it takes pressure of transmission and it releases the gear selector,will give what you suggested  a try as thats not to difficult to do will let you know what happens but not in any hurry as its not really used much now,cheers gus

Offline sv130

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 19:24:39 »
 It does sound like a selector problem to me, I had a similar problem with a well worn gearbox in a lightweight that I had for a while.
 My problem was that the ball end of the gear lever was almost non existent, and didnt quite position the selectors where they should have been to select the next gear. It wasn,t really a problem til I needed reverse, thats when they all jam up.
 If his truck has been used extensively on the farm then you can bet that the gearbox is covered in dried mud and its just worn the end of the gear lever away, mend it with a newer one, or weld it up a bit to replace lost metal and grind it spherical again, (cheapest method, ideal for the farm :rolleyes: )

Gaz   
so many repairs
 so little time

Offline snorkley

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 21:52:09 »
cheers everybody,as i say i will get round to it soon and let you know but fingers crossed its just the selectors worn on top of box

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 16:25:51 »
something else to look for is check that the nut on the end of the mainshaft is tight and the tab washer is engaged, this can wind itself up against the bearing at the back of the box if the  tab's not engaged properly, and produces those symptoms.
the nut is on the shaft on the right in this photo, you can access it through the top transfer box cover via the hatch in the seat box.

on the thought of engaging two gears at once, there should be interlocks between the selecor shafts that prevent this happening. check that both the detent springs are in place either side of the seletor cover on the main box.

detend spring are under these covers

and look a bit like this

Offline snorkley

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 18:14:37 »
superb climbingchris,these pics are a great help and a few other things to check as well and all accessible from the gearbox tunnel which will be coming off anyway,cheers again will get at it when it stops snowing and raining so much for global warming i was looking forward to it lol.

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 15:34:24 »
Hope they help.  There's a load more about series boxes here... http://ollr.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=3133&highlight=bit+gearboxes

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal