AuthorTopic: leaking sunroof on a discovery  (Read 9799 times)

Offline robert francis

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
leaking sunroof on a discovery
« on: December 12, 2008, 22:14:12 »
hi i bought a landrover discovery xs and its leaking through the rear sunroof handle at the moment i got a large sauspan on the back seat collecting the drips, what could be wrong, help
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
lifted, large wheels, rose jointed trailing arms, snorkel,spots, roof rack, h/d rear bumper, tree sliders, winch and winch bumper, body lift, loads more.
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Re: leaking sunroof on a discovery
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 22:20:39 »
Its a discovery sunroof, the leak came as standard!

If you dont wish to use the sunroof then you can seal it with silicone sealant!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 22:23:32 »
The leak will either be between the glass and the rubber seal, or maybe between the actual body of the sunroof frame and the roof panel.......

Did you get anywhere with Golddigger yet...???
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 22:54:41 »
i spoke to him he said they will be here this week, small chance of arriving tomorrow, il be back on the phone monday morning moaning, im not holding my breath for the arms, so i text him all times of the day and phone as often as i can, just to wind him up,
you got anywhere, ive pulled his link off my site
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 22:57:14 by robert francis »
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
lifted, large wheels, rose jointed trailing arms, snorkel,spots, roof rack, h/d rear bumper, tree sliders, winch and winch bumper, body lift, loads more.
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 00:10:16 »
To be honest i;'ve given up, i got the money back from the CC, so if the rest of the gear never turns up i get a front bumper and sliders for free.....LOL!!!
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 14:51:43 »
Noticed the mention of Goldigger. There is a thread on LR4x4 saying that he has gone bump but he is trying to honour existing orders. I did see a nice looking Disco in ASDA's carpark (Radcliffe) a fortnight ago with Golddigger 4x4 decals on it

Cheers
John

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 19:23:08 »
, what could be wrong, help

you bought a disco with sunroofs :lol:

You need a bigger saucepan in the winter and a saucer in the summer!!!

sorry, had to say it!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 20:02:57 »
Noticed the mention of Goldigger. There is a thread on LR4x4 saying that he has gone bump but he is trying to honour existing orders. I did see a nice looking Disco in ASDA's carpark (Radcliffe) a fortnight ago with Golddigger 4x4 decals on it

Cheers
John

he said hes trying to get orders out but like discodon i'm still waiting too been over 6 months now.

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 22:49:49 »
Back on topic, if it is the body to sunroof seal then it is a pretty straightforward job to take the sunroof out and re-seal it with a flexible mastic. You don't need to remove the headlining (it would make it easier) but the job is a bit more fiddly. If it is the sunroof rubber to glass seal then I think these are available off eblag.

If you want to service the sunroof mechanism whilst it is off then that is relatively easy to do. The mechanism comes apart in two halves, do one half at a time so that you have a reference when you come to reassemble it.

I have got some photos of the mechanism in varying stages of disassembly if you want the link

Cheers
John

Offline ChrisW70

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 23:06:42 »
The tray that the sunroof sits in has two drain points, one on each side (facing the front I think).
The drains are spouts formed into the tray and a plastic tube pushes onto these, runs along the alpine window and then down the rear quarter to outside.
Could be that one or both of these are blocked and the water is overflowing through the handle.

The 'spouts' also have a tendency to go brittle and snap off but if that was the case I would have thought you'd be getting water all over the place.
Chris W

West Midlands Region GLASS Rep
GLASS TRO Officer

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 23:06:13 »
hi guys thanks for the comments, the mechanism is fine, i think the drain wholes are vlocked, do they have drain tubes at the back as i could see the water sitting there and turned the motor around and the water had gone, dont no through the drain tubes or just fell in the car with the rest.
lol

golddiggerhad my rose jointed trailing arms to rebuild about 6 months ago he said they were done and ready to send back about 5 months ago and hes promised to send them back so many times, does anyone have his new address as i might go and collect cheaper than buying a new set
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 16:44:22 »
Took me 5 weeks extra on top of the week that he quoted when i won one of his tankguards from ebay......
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 23:45:34 »
at least you recived your item, i only ent mine back to be fixed and never to be seen again,
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 13:27:23 »
hi guys thanks for the comments, the mechanism is fine, i think the drain wholes are vlocked, do they have drain tubes at the back as i could see the water sitting there and turned the motor around and the water had gone, dont no through the drain tubes or just fell in the car with the rest.
lol

Yes, the drain tubes run along the under side of the alpine light and exit at the rear by the speakers / rear lights, if you take the rear quarter panel alpine light trim off you can see the drain tubes. Some say to blast them out with a garage tyre compressed air jobbie but that can just remove the drain tubes off the actual sunroof surrond making matters worse.
What I did when I had my Disco (Robert - you may remember someone a long time ago in a red 300tdi Disco talking to you in Tesco car park Barry - that was me!!) was to remove the headlining out of the car all together, then I undid the sunroof surround by unscrewing the torque screws slightly, on the exterior I put black silicone in the new gap between roof and sunroof and on the interior as it can't be seen I used loads and loads of white silicone, then I did it all back up tight (some torque screws were loose before hand that didn't help!) and then went to the top of the car and cleaned up the black silicone as when the sunroof pushed back down it had made the silicone squish outwards !
Also with the headlining out its also useful to check the drain pipes are not blocked by taking them off and blowing them through.
Also you can use loads of silicone on the screws that hold the roof rails on with as well - just to be on the prevention is better than cure !
The headlining is surprisingly easy to get out - just be careful you don't bend it  :doh:

EDIT - Just found this link if its any easier for you ?
http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php/topic,44093.msg410244.html#msg410244
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 13:48:33 by cardiff_gareth »
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline symlise

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 22:34:45 »
Unbelievably! I too had a leaky rear sunroof in my series II Disco, untill three days ago......................

Since buying it two months ago it's lived facing uphill on a slight incline on my drive. Every time the wet stuff came I was left with an indoor swimming pool on the rear load cover (bye the way mine held 3 litres before it gave in ;)) If I parked the other way the cold wet stuff ambushed me and the missus via the seatbelts(very sneaky) !!! anyhows I decided the 'disco sauna' was getting dangerous so it was freeze or fix it. I tried taping the glass to frame and it still leaked (hence not the seal). So I can confirm after spending £1.66 on a tube of builders clear silicon to carefully seal around the frame (10 minutes + 10 minutes to the shop) IT NO LONGER LEAKS !!!!!

What a result, I just wish I had done it as soon as I bought it. Hope this helps, regards Simon. ps it's rained real heavy and its had it big time with the hose pipe..  :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance:
Sometimes you buy with your heart instead of your head. In twelve months I've spent more on it than I paid for it !! Worth every penny?? Definately!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal