AuthorTopic: Disco intercooler upgrade  (Read 7338 times)

Offline TEMPER593

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Disco intercooler upgrade
« on: December 12, 2008, 00:51:29 »
Hello all.

Can anyone give me the ins and outs of what i need to look for when uprating my intercooler?

I've been looking on ebay at them and have noticed that an S2 RS Turbo cooler looks like it might fit as all the mountings and pipe work seem to be in roughly the right places and is alot cheaper than the proper land rover ones.  :-k

Many thanks TEMP
Will it fit though there? Dont know but we'll soon find out.............................opps!!!!

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
Re: Disco intercooler upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:53:09 »
I have an Alisport full width fitted to my 200Tdi Disco. An amazing dirrerence from standard. It takes about an hour to fit too. I also have silicon hoses, but these are not essential.

I am running around 14psi of boost. Its amazing how something so simple can make such a difference. And slightly more MPG. Depending on weather you boot it all the time.

I can pull away in 5th from 40 and happily and safely overtake no probs. Not like before where i would be dropping it down a cog.

And alot less gear changing. 4TH is the most noticable when picking up speed to enter motorways ect.

And i have pulled caravans and a car trailer with an rrc on the back no probs too.

As for the ford one, i dont know. But the disco intercooler from Alisport is 10 mm thincker than the defender one, due to space. I think thie Disco one i have is 60mm core.

So to sum it up  :dance: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :dance: It was worth the £350 i spent on it.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:49:06 »
Allisport sell their kit for aircon-fitted Discos via ebay, looks good but I worry about whether it will affect airflow through the radiator?

I'm planning to buy a spare standard one, clean it out properly, then swap it with my (original) one. Effectively removing 115k of gunk from inside it should have a nice effect on performance and as it's merely cleaning/replacing a standard part the insurance won't go up!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline ne jones

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 13:26:08 »
its fairly straight forward to fit an intercooler from a td5, its about twice the capacity of the standard one.

you can use a couple of the standard hoses at the turbo end but will need to buy silicone bends and a couple of feet of tube.

I've got some pics somewhere of mine when I did it a few years ago, i'll see if i can find them.
Cheers, Nathan.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 16:37:16 »
As for cooling. I do have a Kenlowe fitted to mine. So no probs with that. I cant see it being much of a problem. Except if it gets clogged. But then no different than clogging the rad.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 17:48:39 »
Allisport sell their kit for aircon-fitted Discos via ebay, looks good but I worry about whether it will affect airflow through the radiator?

I'm planning to buy a spare standard one, clean it out properly, then swap it with my (original) one. Effectively removing 115k of gunk from inside it should have a nice effect on performance and as it's merely cleaning/replacing a standard part the insurance won't go up!

I have an allisport full width intercooler on my 300, it's been there for a while, inc some of the late summer, not had any issues at-all with the truck getting over warm, it simply gets up to temp and stays there, it gets serious abus offroad too, ie, not travelling at speed..... but on the other hand even though it's lifte etc i still manage to get to naughty speed again with no over heating issues......
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 21:59:16 »
I need one NOW!!! :twisted: :drool:

I've been looking at them both on ebay and apart from the mountings being different they look identical.

So thats that sorted now what over performance bolt ons can i ask santa for!?  :-k 8-[
Will it fit though there? Dont know but we'll soon find out.............................opps!!!!

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 12:12:51 »

I'm planning to buy a spare standard one, clean it out properly, then swap it with my (original) one.

Why? it takes no time to get them off, a few litres of parrafin into it and give it a damn good shake for a while, leave it for an hour or so to dry off then re fit, much cheaper than buying a spare!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 19:36:50 »
I wouodn't bother with one form a petrol car, unless it had at least 150BHP/2.5 litres, otherwise it just won't pass enough wind.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 20:00:23 »

I'm planning to buy a spare standard one, clean it out properly, then swap it with my (original) one.

Why? it takes no time to get them off, a few litres of parrafin into it and give it a damn good shake for a while, leave it for an hour or so to dry off then re fit, much cheaper than buying a spare!

I'm just a bit worried how long it will take to dry after a proper clean at this time of year!  :lol:
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 21:09:00 »
Blow a bit of wind through it? Borrow the other halfs hairdryer? Get the airline through it?  ;)
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 22:51:24 »
as disco matt said about cleaning the intercooler, i did it a few weeks ago, it actually feels like i got a turbo now, lol
landy rover recommend a clean out every 45ish thousand miles.
and i bet hardly any intercooler has
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
lifted, large wheels, rose jointed trailing arms, snorkel,spots, roof rack, h/d rear bumper, tree sliders, winch and winch bumper, body lift, loads more.
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 00:37:21 »
Too true ans as they get older it should be more frequent not less.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 00:49:07 »
Well i think i've just got another engine so i'll do it over crimbo at the same time im doin the swop.
2 jobs in 1! :)

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 19:19:38 »
What one are you going for then??

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 19:49:05 »
Looks like im goin to have to clean the old 1 out and get the new 1 later on in the new year.

Offline eugene

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 20:22:59 »
i have heard of people useing mr2 intercoolers on there discos
sj410 wifes offroader
1992 gold 5 door disco winch and bumper spots rooflights .2inch lift. khuno kl 71 265.75.16.rebel steering guard. snorkel
 freelander wifes car
www.norfolk4x4response.org.uk  www.brecklandlrc.co.uk/

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 02:07:19 »
I think im going to get in touch with the makers of the RS cooler and Allisport and get some facts and figures and see what i get.

If one's cheaper than the other and they do the same job then im up for a spot of DIY!!!

Who else makes intercoolers for discos? :-k

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 10:33:27 »
Jeremy Fern
Bell Auto's
twisted performance
Allard

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 16:46:19 »
Do we know if some are better than others or are they all about the same?

Cheers TEMP

Offline trecfive

Attack Member
  • If it fit's the hook it'll pull it.
    • Nuneaton
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 18:14:51 »

I'm just a bit worried how long it will take to dry after a proper clean at this time of year!  :lol:
[/quote]

It will take you 30 seconds to dry the intercooler out, assemble it all together again except for the top hose connection, on the inlet manifold, place a large rag over the exposed pipe, and run the engine up too about 3000rpm for a few seconds,  (catching wot comes out of the pipe ,if anything in the rag) stop engine and refit the pipe. Job done.
1. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash
2. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash, apparently very rare.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 16:58:57 »
I think im going to get in touch with the makers of the RS cooler and Allisport and get some facts and figures and see what i get.

If one's cheaper than the other and they do the same job then im up for a spot of DIY!!!

Who else makes intercoolers for discos? :-k

Alot of it will depend on how good your engine is anyway.

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 17:25:40 »
Well the one im hopefully getting on saturday should be a goodun so i'll wait and see.

Soon as its fitted its all goin to get tuned up ant tweaked so i'll see what resault i get.  :D

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 15:19:34 »
Anybody know what sort of figures i should be getting from a tune up and a front mounted intercooler?

Cheers TEMP

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 16:57:40 »
The one i have (Alisport Full width) Quotes up to 35% increase. Which i fully believe. And for the one that is the same physical size, but twice the thickness they quote up to 20%. Standard the 200 and 300Tdi are about 111bhp and 280nm of torque.

Offline TEMPER593

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 17:15:00 »
That'll be 149.85BHP and 378NM of torque then if my maths is rate!?

Not bad for an hour or twos work!!!  :)

What do you get back from tuning them up then is there much difference in doin that?

Cheers TEMP

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 17:48:39 »
Mine came with a sheet for the settings. And by doing tham, on average Alisport quote around 150bhp.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 21:15:23 »
Without a rolling road how can you judge how much power you have? anyone got a 0-60 time for example?
I know our TDi was tweaked but I fitted a full width intercooler and I'm not sure it's made much difference, I thought it would smoke less for one thing, I havn't adjusted the fuel pump again since it was fitted.

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 10:49:42 »

noticed a question about airflow with the radiator, you will notice it will run considerably cooler anyway as a bigger intercooler takes alot of pressure off the head therefore the engine will be doing less work, therefore running cooler
James@plymouthoffroad.co.uk     The biggest club in the south west! As featured in Total Offroad this month!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 14:45:09 »

noticed a question about airflow with the radiator, you will notice it will run considerably cooler anyway as a bigger intercooler takes alot of pressure off the head therefore the engine will be doing less work, therefore running cooler

Not sure I follow that logic, a bigger intercooler allows more fule to be burned, therefore more heat.  On part load with lower boost you will find a bigger intercooler managed to cool the air more, lowering the air charge temperature which does help the engine stay cool when cruising.  The downside is this effect increases thermal shock around the valve gear.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal