AuthorTopic: 200tdi worn rings ?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Alex200tdi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi worn rings ?
« on: November 21, 2008, 17:47:49 »
Hi guys,

I have just bought a 90 200tdi and have a fair bit of pressure at the rocker,  it drives really well and does not overheat at all so it probably me just being paranoid, its had a new turbot and head gasket about 10,000 miles ago, no smoke on tickover.

The only thing is there seems to be a thin layer of oil coming down the left had side of the chassis and dripping off the sump plug ???

does this sound like worn rings and if so how much is it going to hurt ?  :huh:

thanks

Al

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Re: 200tdi worn rings ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 18:08:18 »
you aint got a blocked breathe system have you ?
how many miles has the engine done ?
oil down the turbo side of the engine can come from
rocker cover
no oil passage ways on that side of block so not head gasket
leaking inlet/zaust gasket.......if turbo been replaced, it couls have filled the ports with oil residue and thats weaping out
dipstick tube
oil feed and return for  tubby
or even the sump or ladder rtv seal has broken
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:25:40 »
If your rings were worn, the engine would smoke as well. The oil leak you have could be unrelated. Check the breather system - particularly the seperator which can block up. It is possible that there's some compression loss from the head gasket joint even though it has been replaced (maybe it wasn't done properly). To cause excessive crankcase pressure - there would be compression lost into the camshaft cavity on the drivers side of the block.
A compression test will tell if you have worn rings.
Compression on a new 200/300TDi engine is 19.5:1 +/- 0.5:1. A worn engine would be less than this, but you need to look for one cylinder reading considerably less than the other three for a head gasket leak, or very low on all 4 for worn rings.
Maximum variation is 5-bar (70psi)

Les.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:27:54 by Les Henson »

Offline Alex200tdi

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 23:07:53 »
Thanks for the reply's guys, i think i may have found the culprit! the base of the dipstick tube has a stream of oil coming down onto the sump etc then when the vehical is in motion the draft flicks it down the left had side of the chassis. The engine has only just done 100k and it has been regulary serviced so i would have been gutted if it had been somthing more serious. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens!

Cheers  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal