AuthorTopic: Remove a 300 TDI EGR ECU?  (Read 959 times)

Offline woolybear

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Remove a 300 TDI EGR ECU?
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:26:56 »
Got a N reg manual 90 with (as far as I can work out) a 300 tdi engine. I've been reading round on the web about EGR removal / blanking and it seems to be a simple, safe and probably worthwhile thing to do. The whole blanking plate / replacement hose thing seems straightforward but I'm kinda muddled by the whole EGR ECU thing so... can anyone advise?

I *think* what happens is...

the late'ish 96/7/8'ish 300 TDIs have an ECU which, on a manual box, only reads things like throttle position and adjusts the EGR solenoid. It isn't remap'able. On the automatic, the ECU does a bit more and is remap'able with some useful increase in power etc.

If I blank off the EGR using one of the kits then, on my manual box, the EGR ecu (under the middle seat, model 4115) becomes somewhat redundant.

My questions are:

1. Have I understood things properly?

2. Can I remove the ECU altogether (for a cubby box etc)?

3. Is there a definitive list of which ECUs are and aren't remap'able somewhere?

I've googled till I'm losing the will to live and everything I read seems to suggest something different. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

Wooly

Offline lukeLR90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Remove a 300 TDI EGR ECU?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 15:17:59 »
blank off the EGR and get rid of the ecu it does nothing once you have blanked it off just make sure you unplug the connector on top of the EGR so that it cant mess it up
time to go......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal