AuthorTopic: I think my cambelt had snapped  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
I think my cambelt had snapped
« on: November 17, 2008, 13:36:26 »
I've just come back from getting some parts for my brakes(90 TDI), but about 200yards from home suddenly lost the motor. It turns over but seems to lack compression, a bit like turning a petrol over with no plugs in.

I've tried taking the wading plug out to see if anything is visible trough the hole, but only succeeded in rounding the corners of the bolt off.

I've  loosened one of the injector pipes and tuned it over but no diesel appears at the union.

I'm waiting on the missus to reappear so I can watch the rockers through the oil filler to confirm my fears

Are these 200 tdi motors prone to bending the valves if the belt does snap?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 17:18:19 by Frankie-Boy »
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline fezzy192

Attack Member
  • THERES NOTHING BETTER IN LIFE THAN THE GREEN OVAL
    • birmingham
Re: I think my cambelt had snapped
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 13:41:23 »
I've just come back from getting some parts for my brakes(90 TDI), but about 200yards from home suddenly lost the motor. It turns over but seems to lack compression, a bit like turning a petrol over with no plugs in.

I've tried taking the wading plug out to see if anything is visible trough the hole, but only succeeded in rounding the corners of the bolt off.
I've  loosened one of the injector pipes and tuned it over but no diesel appears at the union.

I'm waiting on the missus to reappear so I can watch the rockers through the oil filler to confirm my fears

Are these 200 tdi motors prone to bending the valves if the belt does snap?

i know a few people that have had the cambelt snap on a 200tdi and  all they do is bend the pushrods
just time it back up and put 8 new push rods in it and it will fire
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 17:18:32 by Frankie-Boy »

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 14:49:02 »
My fears were correct, the missus cranked it over and no movement from the rockers.

So I've just been on to paddocks and ordered:

546799 ...8 pushrods (just in case)
ERR 1632..cover plate seal
ERR2393...rocker gasket
timing belt kit..Belt, tension-er and  2 gaskets

Tomorrow, I'll whip the rocker cover off and check for any further damage...

I'm lucky it didn't happen yesterday when offroading

Axetamer

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:18 »
I can't get the bottom pully bolt undone, tried  heat, tried the starter trick...anybody want to buy a defender?

Axetamer

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 15:52:58 »
You may find rockers or rock shaft(s) also broken.

I do not think you should apply heat to the bottom pulley on a 200TDi, for last I was aware they are the dampening type.  So you might also now need to be on the look out for another pulley.

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 17:18:36 »
Right then, got the bolt undone after making the landrover locking tool and a length of scaffold, pulley is OK, I didn't get it too hot to melt anything

Now have more probs, 2 bolts have sheared off holding the water pump on, 1 bolt has sheared  at the head I'm gonna weld a nut on the end tomorrow and try to extract, would have done the 2 nuts trick but there is insufficient sticking out to get 2 nuts on, the other has sheared well inside, I'm thinking tap out the backing plate m10, but am wondering if the timing belt backing plate is held by the same bolts as I won't be able to use the original length bolts.

It was too dark to whip the rocker cover off, so what damage has occurred at the top is still unknown

Axetamer

Offline piggysteve

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 17:33:12 »
That happened to an old engine of mine so I sold the truck in a fit of bad temper.A week later it drives through the villege, he drilled the snapped bolts out then retapped the block :twisted:

Steve
Ex pat Yorkshireman.

P38 diesel

Offline gt.jacko

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 19:12:12 »
I,ve had two cambelt failures on two different 90 tdi,s one caused by fuel pump seal failing and diesel and cambelts dont mix I also had my wading plug in so did n,t see the leak, the second was contaminated with oil both times i only replaced bent push rods and a couple of tappet adj screws no bent valves :D both engines are still going strong several thousand miles later.

Hope this helps

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 12:55:26 »
Opened the rocker cover, rockers and shaft ok, but have 3 well bent pushrods, also the tensioner was full of crud, the bearing hasn't quite collapsed but has loads of lateral movement.

Just waiting for the parts to arrive...but will have to wait for a week for the rebuild..it'll be too dark to rebuild when I return from work

Axetamer

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 18:21:45 »
you can get away with one of the bolts being broken off ( dependand on which one that is)
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 22:32:22 »
It's the extreme right hand one omitted at the moment, I've drilled and tapped the one to the left of it m10. The 3 going around the rhs radius of the water pump go into the block securing the timing case to the block as there is a gasket behind from the water gallery, so its like the end one so to speak. I've filed it off flush and will use the cover as a jig to drill the remaing bolt out..I tried freehand but the drill started to wander drilling into the softer ally ....then it started to get dark. It'll be a week before I can have another go due to a 6 on 3off shift pattern at work..my 1st of 6 tomorrow (thurs).

Axetamer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal