AuthorTopic: Potential Project  (Read 664 times)

Offline Chris Putt

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Potential Project
« on: November 07, 2008, 14:04:46 »
Right then ladies and Gents....... Some of you may have seen me posting on the discovery and series forum, essentially this is because I used to have a disco, and then sold it because I broke my back and couldnt use it. My spine has now healed up and I feel the need for a new project, and Im torn between doing a low cost series-based vehicle or doing a Vit.......The emphasis being on Low cost!!

Had a play in a vit last year and was very impressed- shame it wasnt diesel- thats all!!

Anyone able to give me a rough idea of costings of a few bits, and also If I could run some ideas past you....

Ok, sensibly, what is the largest tyre size I can run on one without breaking running gear regularly?

Can the arches be cut out in order to fit said bigger tyres?

What sort of money would I be looking at for a 2" lift, and are there any tips to gain flex on the back end cheaply?

Lastly- Any diesels drop in easily?

Chris
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline dainott

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Potential Project
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 15:41:29 »
Hi mate, im new to the vit scene aswell and currently have a standard 96 1.6 vit that im in the middle of setting up as a weekend toy (also on a tight budget).
I am looking to raise mine 5-6 inches (3 inch body and 2-3 inch susp). If you have a search on here there are a few methods of lifting the vit cheaply. Grand vit springs, strut extensions on front and mk2 astra shocks on back will give you 2.75 inches cheaply (grand vit springs quite difficult to come by though :(). Im undecided at the mo on what to go for myself and going to fit 31's with the 3 inch body lift and see how much that all comes to and then see what i have left to spend on the susp. There are full 3 inch susp kits on ebay for £260 (or just springs for £160) which are a 3" lift and also calmini kits but heard a few problems with them putting massive amounts of stress on the front setup.

There is a SWB vit on ebay at the mo with a fueling problem he believes, but it has a 2.5 susp lift on it and going cheap. Well worth a look mate. Just look out for rott on them thats about it really. Engines are pretty solid and you can get diesels engines on up in the year ones.

Best of luck fella

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal