AuthorTopic: 2.5 TD running very rough  (Read 612 times)

Offline LeanneNCharlie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2.5 TD running very rough
« on: November 04, 2008, 20:57:25 »
hi all. I've managed to get my head in a tizz over this one.

We have a 1989 2.5TD 90. i fully rebuilt the engine back in january this year and it has behaved wonderfully until recently. It started running rough on start up, (white smoke, DIESEL) and missing. give it a minute and all things would clear and normal running will resume. I took this as dribbling/worn injectors so today i've replaced them.

The problem now is it has a constant miss but no smoke. I,ve been through the system checks so many times now i'm at a complete loss as it was fine before i started and all i've done is the injectors. any ideas as to what could be wrong?

charlie.
Leanne - LR 90 "ZEBEDEE"
             Suzuki Vitara

Charlie - Discovery 1 "ILENE"

Offline trickydicky

Attack Member
  • took some bits off now its streemline
Re: 2.5 TD running very rough
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 18:02:01 »
i have had that exact problem for 12 months now i have changed everything and it is still the same. i took the head off yesterday and noticed that the inlet manifold had diesel sludge in it. this would suggest to me that the pump boost diafram had gone causing it to over fuel especially when the turbo cutts in. so i brought a new one from Delphi pumps i will fit it this weekend and let you know if it works. :D

Offline LeanneNCharlie

Attack Member
Re: 2.5 TD running very rough
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 19:48:13 »
hi. i've now semi sorted the problem. after running it for a day and lifting the bonnet to have another crack at it i found that one of our new injectors was leaking diesel back up the cylinder head. so i thought great, thats the miss fire. i took the injector out and it was soaked and was leaking from around the threads for the nozzle cap. i fitted an old injector and tried it, still missing, damn! i decided to crack off each injector in turn while running to see what happened. 3 4 and 1 were close to stall but no 2 only seemed to change the note a little. i took it out and all looked fine but decided to put yet another old injector back in. low and behold the missing stopped but i now have a bit of smoke again. nothing like what we had before though. so its back to the supplier for 2 more injectors. couldn't believe that 2 out of 4 injectors were faulty but hay ho thats recon for you!

charlie
Leanne - LR 90 "ZEBEDEE"
             Suzuki Vitara

Charlie - Discovery 1 "ILENE"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal