AuthorTopic: Frontera repairs - Easy fixes??  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Mareng

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Frontera repairs - Easy fixes??
« on: October 24, 2008, 19:16:56 »
Hi guys, is there anyone with a bit of Fronty experience that can give me a rough idea of what I might be taking on...

We had an M ref Fronty in for an MOT this afternoon, which it failed, for the following reasons

Hazards not flashing in phase with the ignition off

One of the front brakes is sticking on
One was weak
the rear brakes were also weak
as well of a couple of other really easy fixes. 

When the owner was told what was needed, she said that she couldn't afford the repairs and suggested the motor be scrapped.

Now, this is where I come in with my cunning plan  :-#  The misses likes Fronteras (dunno why, she just does) but doesn't actually have her license yet, and has been talking about getting a car to learn in (apparently the Disco wont do  :roll:)  I've been told that if I were to aquire the car, I could keep it outside work whilst repairing it, bringing it in onto the ramps during lunch etc

So what I need to know, is how much am I looking at for new calipers, pads, discs, shoes and drums ( I think its drums on the back  :-k)  and how involved are they to fit?

Also, a general idea of what to look for in a Frontera, i-e optional extras, trim levels, bits that ALWAY break or go wrong after so long, you know the stuff...

It wouldn't be used to go off road, at least to start with, so mods to the suspension etc aren't necessary.

Steve

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Re: Frontera repairs - Easy fixes??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 19:39:18 »
You could try in the Isuzu forum, I'm guessing the fronty guys hangout in there - tbh I don't know as I never do.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 19:50:08 »

Moved and tidied up for you.  ;)
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline Mareng

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 19:56:14 »

Moved and tidied up for you.  ;)

Cheers bud  :clap:
Steve

Offline dickycaz

Attack Member
  • disco 200 TDI
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 13:13:48 »
the front calipers do stick usaly just the slides easy fixed .rear is usaly the load sensing valve on the back end this seizes but it is easy to repair give it a scoot with wd40  and work it up and down this is only a small amount of movement hear so dont go mad . if you do need discs and pads i done mine last year and was only £60 for both .
Full time land rover mechanic part time drunk.
+4" lift ,33" special tracks.husky super winch custom front and rear bumpers .jackabil sills.sumo bars QT radius arms, cranked trailing arms.

Drift

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 18:37:18 »
Hi Steve, they are really easy fixes, new calipers are about £60 each but you can get them second hand for £20 or less, even a caliper rebuild kit for £20, but more than likely it will be the sliders that have stuck.

Its likely to be drums on the back unless its an early 2.8.

What engine is it and is it LWB? should be able to tell you trim levels then.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal