AuthorTopic: Series 3 V 110  (Read 4930 times)

Offline diff-breaker

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series 3 V 110
« on: February 27, 2005, 08:52:09 »
:?:  I have a 110 defender but am considering selling and getting either a Series 2 or 3 diesel after busting my diff - ouch to the pocket !
I am told repairs are easier and cheaper ?
I want to continue to go off roading so want a cheap one to then do bits to it - is it correct that to change leaf spring to coils you need a new chassis ?
Can the height be raised without changing to coils ?
My concerns are leaf springs hitting rocks is this a problem which is why i ask about raising ?
If going in water do you need specific wading kit in additional to snorkel ?
Any issues fitting a winch to a series vehicle?
What additional benefits do overdrive and free wheel hubs give and are they a must ?
Anything else i should consider ?
So many questions  :-k
Julian Heslam

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: Series 3 V 110
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 09:05:14 »
> I am told repairs are easier and cheaper ?

They used to be.  But now the availability and price of 90/110 parts is much the same as series...

> I want to continue to go off roading so want a cheap one to then do bits to it - is it correct that to change leaf spring to coils you need a new chassis ?

It is *possible* to do it without changing the chassis, but it is a major undertaking, and not something I'd do without a really good reason.  (And I'll do most things ;-) )

> Can the height be raised without changing to coils ?

You can increase clearance with larger tyres and by using extended spring shackles...  depends how daft you want to get really.   A Series on 7.50s or even 9.00s is plenty tall enough in my view

> My concerns are leaf springs hitting rocks is this a problem which is why i ask about raising ?

Was never much of a problem with my Series

> If going in water do you need specific wading kit in additional to snorkel ?

You really need a wading kit before you need a snorkel.  To *need* a snorkel, you need to be talking about some pretty deep water.   Change the axle breathers to the coil-sprung type and extend them up, also get a drain plug.

>  Any issues fitting a winch to a series vehicle?

No more than any other vehicle... just need to get a decent mounting and the kit to power it (hydraulic pump / decent battery)

> What additional benefits do overdrive and free wheel hubs give and are they a must ?

Overdrive makes road driving more civilsed.. if you can get one, I'd do so.   Free Wheeling hubs, again I would fit if you can get them...  I found they tended to reduce vibration in the front end since you're not spinning all your front UJ's.  I never noticed any significant fuel savings with the FW hubs, but I did with the overdrive.

Hope that helps.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline diff-breaker

Attack Member
Series 3 V 110
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 20:30:25 »
thanks very much for that - I'll let you know how it goes.
Julian Heslam

Offline diff-breaker

Attack Member
Series 3 V 110
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 20:48:16 »
Any loss in off road performance through leaf springs v coils ?
What's the difference in fuel consumption between petrol and diesel ?
Question is do i go for a cheap Series 3 or splash out more on a 90 ?
Julian Heslam

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Series 3 V 110
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 20:57:41 »
ahh, well.. there is a debate...

*Generally* speaking...  a coiler will be easier on the bones...  as to the off-road performance... well... that depends more on the driver than the vehicle ;-)

Fuel consumption will be better with a diesel, but the petrol is more driveable.

You'll get a much better Series 3 for the money than you will a 90... depends how rich you are ;-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline diff-breaker

Attack Member
Series 3 V 110
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 21:16:37 »
When you say petrol is more driveable due you mean more power and eco friendly ?
On the subject of how rich am i - basically considering selling my 110 and getting an older SWB whilst still needing windows, rear seats for kids but still go off road with family in it so want a relatively cheap one to then
make any modifications.
Julian Heslam

the loon

Re: Series 3 V 110
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 22:16:59 »
Quote from: "diff-breaker"
:?:  I have a 110 defender but am considering selling and getting either a Series 2 or 3 diesel after busting my diff - ouch to the pocket !
I am told repairs are easier and cheaper ?
I want to continue to go off roading so want a cheap one to then do bits to it - is it correct that to change leaf spring to coils you need a new chassis ?
Can the height be raised without changing to coils ?
My concerns are leaf springs hitting rocks is this a problem which is why i ask about raising ?
If going in water do you need specific wading kit in additional to snorkel ?
Any issues fitting a winch to a series vehicle?
What additional benefits do overdrive and free wheel hubs give and are they a must ?
Anything else i should consider ?
So many questions  :-k

Diff had had my SIII since jan (my first 4x4) its been raised at somepoint and leaf srings are fine as someone fitted "bloody big tires" at some point
I would strongly recomend the overdrive as it does make a reall differance. I know plenty of cases of people buying old old series just for the overdive units (overdrives go for about £150 on ebay)
with wading kit I've been through some resonable depth of water (stuff that would never take a car through) and had no probs
I would go with diesel though if I was you rater than petrol (thats a personal preferance mind you)
If your looking for a S111 may be tempted to part with mine as having looked around could fancy a lightweight
if you want pictures etc mail me and will let you see details etc
landyloony@btinternet.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal