AuthorTopic: A couple of questions re '92 RRC  (Read 654 times)

Offline dod51e

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
A couple of questions re '92 RRC
« on: October 20, 2008, 22:01:15 »
Hi guys,

A few niggles (better than many I suppose!)

1, Rev counter seems to have a mind of it's own and not representative of true RPM.  It also fluctuates rather a lot and never seems to reflect very high RPM.

2, Front brake pads are vibrating when under NO load.  Does the '92 only have the retaining bolts (with springs running along there length) that slot through the calipers and the pads or should there be a sprung steel plate that locates under these bolts applying pressure down on the pads? (the old 3.5 had the plates held in place by split pins and never rattled!!)

3, Very little heat getting through to the cabin now, it did improve when I flushed the pipes though a few months ago but has now returned to luke-warm only.  Engine does not seem that hot but gauge reads normal.  The old girl does have an LPG kit so there is a take off from the heater pipes to serve the vapouriser (which is working fine).

Any and all idea's welcome.

Cheers

Mark

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Re: A couple of questions re '92 RRC
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 22:34:45 »
Hey matey.. just a start:

1. Dodgy connection on alternator or goosed alternator

2. Not sure... I know the spring pins yer talking about but not whther they should have plates... contact Paddocks.. they should be able to tell you.

3. Oooohhh... get this checked urgently... could be a goosed heater matrix causing an airlock and it could be signs that the head gasket is going/gone

Good luck

Skibum

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 23:48:45 »
Rev counters are cack they never tell you how fast the engine is going, especially if the alternator is an upgrade.

The brake pads asound fine, when the vented disks were introduced they were too wide for the original anti-rattle shims so the springs were fitted in their stead.

Heater ineffective, hmm.  Check it's routing through that LPG kit properly and not using any water over a periosd of time, as said it can be a bad sign.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:36:36 »
Many thanks Skibum and Range Rover Blues.

With the alternater being 16 years old and on a Range Rover I guess no more can be expected, similarly forthe brake pads.  As for the lack of heat coming into the cabin I think it is time to get a leak tester!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal