AuthorTopic: Odd Steering Leak  (Read 347 times)

Offline BigA

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Odd Steering Leak
« on: October 20, 2008, 16:01:07 »
OK, this is getting a tad annoying now. A few weeks before the birthday bash i had to change my steering box as it failed the MOT due to leaking, this was from the usual place, at the bottom where the drop-arm connects. I swapped it out for another box, and all was well, no leaks, steering was better all was fine.

After the Birthday bash, i noticed a considerable amount of steering fluid under the Disco. When i checked it looked to be coming from between the box and where in mounts to the chassis. I swapped the box over for the original, checked all connections, added some stop leak, and this one is now leaking in the same place.

As far as i can see the connectors are all tight, and the pipes are not leaking. there is no fluid in site from the top of the box, but once again, when looked at from underneath, it looks to be leaking from between the box and the chassis, where it is bolted.

Any Suggestions?

Cheers for now,

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Disco_Stu

Attack Member
  • Any chance of a tow...?
Re: Odd Steering Leak
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 22:47:44 »
I've never had to remove my steering box fortunately, the half a cup of brake fluid trick sorted my leak out 18 months ago. ( Brake fluid causes the rubber seals to swell and stops the leak in most case. An ideal MOT fix but not recommended for long term repair).

Is there a gasket? Did you clean the mating faces properly? Is there any damage to the chassis?

It cant be coincidence.

Stu.
1994 300Tdi Disco    

Snorkel now complete.... http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=1906&highlight=

Offline BigA

Attack Member
Re: Odd Steering Leak
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:08:44 »
It cant be coincidence.

I agree. two different boxes and the leek looks to be from the same place, its getting annoying now. I have wondered if one of the hoses could be leaking when under higher pressure, but i would have expected to see at least a sign of steering fluid remaining on the hose?

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal