AuthorTopic: Winch Problem  (Read 508 times)

Offline Jonsey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winch Problem
« on: October 19, 2008, 15:18:33 »
Hi all,

Right out at a Pay & Play site today and some lad stuck looking very sorry for him self went over "hero of the hour" to pull him out with the Winch, rope out all hooked press the button and nothing!! :cry: :oops:

Got home and just had a play to find out whats up, now i'm not a novice with electrics but im no genius either, but i'm lost with this one!

My Winch has a Negative connection on the bottom straight to the battery and the Positive connection going into the solenoid from there 3 cables come out the solenoid onto the top of the Winch. When using a Multi-meter to check voltage with the Positive Probe on the battery terminal and Negative Probe on any of the three wires on top of the Winch (from the solenoid) there's a constant 12V until i press In or Out then the Voltage disappears, and with the Negative Probe on the Battery Terminal and Positive Probe on the 3 wires on top the Winch there is no voltage until i press In or Out then there is 12V.

Oh yea, the solenoids click when In or Out pressed and clean inside ect.. so no bad connections.

Does this sound correct? Or is the Solenoid had it? Or any other test's i can do?

Cheers,

Chris

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
Re: Winch Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 18:24:11 »
If the solenoids are clicking in, and there is a 12volts supply on them, i will bet that there is dirt on the comutator or one of the brushes is stuck in the brush holder.
Take the back cover off the winch motor and clean the commutator with a bit of very smooth wet & dry paper.

regards
wizard :twisted:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 00:56:16 »
Motor brush stuck? big hammer ;)

Serioulsy though, It's probably a combination of lack of use and damp environment. ie get it used more often or take it off.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 18:30:02 »
Try tapping and I do mean tapping, the motor housing with a screw driver handle, which might free it off, if not strip it down and fill the gears with grease and give the motor a squirt of WD40, I do this every couple of months to mine and it hasnt let me down yet.
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline Jonsey

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 21:13:41 »
Cheers for answers, working late most nights this week so will give it ago when i get chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal