AuthorTopic: my project rebuild plus bobtail  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Tel

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
  • Referrals: 0
my project rebuild plus bobtail
« on: October 16, 2008, 15:50:37 »
Hi

over the last few months i have been doing a bobtail conversion and rebuild on my range rover

as with all projects they have a purpose and this one was to make it as good off road as we could possibly get, with standard classics they have a hell of alot of rear overhang so we cut 20" of its bum to make it nice young and pert again :)

when I first got it and a few action pics

You get the idea then at the end of July we cut it apart to repair replace and strengthen

First thing the inner wing was rotten and you can’t buy replacements for them anymore so we took it off to see what we could do (this nearly wrote the car off as I couldn’t find one anywhere)

Then we got the pen out

Hawk Performance Vehicles

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
Re: my project rebuild plus bobtail
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 15:52:05 »
Then up on the axle stands so we can operate

Then chop

As you can see the rear body mounts were tired

So chop

We then had to widen the mounts 10mm as the only box section i could find was 100x100

New body mount with the 2" lift started to go in place

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 15:53:04 »
Roof shortened to match (what a job)

More rust fixed

Bit of paint

Getting it back together nice and short

Miniman welding the new cross member in

Front inner wing back on that i found on eBay for a steal at £20
Needed alot of work tho

I decided to make a new snorkel aswell

New bumper mounting

And new little windows :)

pretty much how it stands at the moment as been really busy building a shop at the moment so all my time has been taken up doing that

Hope you guys like and ill update I we get on with the build

Plans are st orange with black roof and wheels with a few other mods

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 15:53:30 »
bits that might not be obvious are

2" suspesion lift
2" body lift
2" tyre lift
6" extended brake lines
in the middle of an lpg gas conversion
and trying to source a custom fuel tank which is proving pretty difficult so if anyone can help me with then please do so

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 15:54:44 »
SOME UPDATES FOR YOU ALL BODY MOUNTS NOW WELDED UP AND REAR LIGHT PODS MADE LPG KIT NOW FULLY FITTED CANT WAIT TO HEAR IT RUN AGAIN I MISS MY V8

GOING TO BE A VERY CAPABLE VEHICLE WHEN ITS FINISHED

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 17:04:28 »
looks very nice m8
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline turbonutter

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 00:13:40 »
nice little project bud
my missis had a 2 door bobtail pickup , that were selling as she now has a 4 door rrc
gona be looking a bobtailing it soon , havent done a bobtail yet and looking forward to getting the grinder out after seeing this thread  :doh:

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:39:49 »
About ready for the SVA then !!!

Looking good !
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 15:11:09 »
thanks for the positve comments guys

all i need to do now is is get the fuel tank made up

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:29:04 »
A mate has a fuel tank made specifically for a rangie bobtail, fits over the rear nearside wheel arch and the filler goes out through the D pillar, if interested?
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 19:09:06 »
 :D gr8 work m8

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:16:11 »
What a great Project, Fantastics pics of before it was done :)

Many thanks for taking the time and sharing them with us all :)

Im so tempted to get mine done now  :shock:
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 17:12:01 »
thanks for all the positive comments guys makes me want to get off my arse and get it finished

still cant decide how im going to sort the fuel tank

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 21:46:30 »
Have you considered a mini one (original mini)
Prob just the right size if you mainly gonna be on LPG.

Looking good though well done :cool:

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 22:03:55 »
That looks great, Do you think it will pass the sva test?  Ben
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 11:00:22 »
That looks great, Do you think it will pass the sva test?  Ben

its not a road vehicle anymore but i would probably go down the ameture build side of things if i did want it done

looking at what ive read on the forums it looks like it would be hard to sva it but at the same time i dont think there is a fair catagory for these as 1, ive not touched the wheel base and 2, ive only cut the chassis down ive not cut a section out and welded it back together its got a 100x100 box section rear cross member so anyone that says its not strong or not been done well needs there head looking at as i wouldnt  put my family in danger by letting them come in it

it was more dangerous before i cut it up as 7 of the body mounts wernt  attached to the car

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 16:27:44 »
I don't understand that either, why do you need a sva test if you haven't changed the wheelbase?
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 18:29:43 »
I don't understand that either, why do you need a sva test if you haven't changed the wheelbase?

i know why they have done it, to get all the dodgy bobtails off the road that are held together with pop rivets some are shocking but there has been a few that have been done really well and its them ones that its a shame for

ive never seen the rear of a range rover fall off tho has anyone else id love to see a pic lol

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 15:47:32 »
bit of an update for you all got my fuel tank today looks cool bloody expensive but cool

getting my clifford alarm fitted on the weekend with intellistart so no more flat battery on it after long periods

Offline digger

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 18:17:34 »
looking good  should be a awe some machine when finished :clap:
200tdi disco project
98 2 DOOR 300TDI DISCO  SUZUKI SJ  FORD TRANSIT suzuki vitara trayback disco project

anaxemurderer

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 12:35:40 »
Sweet tank mate, reckon that cost you abit! Ours just has a standard rangie tank mounted in the back, pretty much in the middle so takes up all the room! (we didn't do it!)

Considering its not a road vehicle you made a nice job of rear lights and general finsihing! Got any more pics yet, are you done?

Nick

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 16:49:28 »
thanks for the comments guys

we tryed to build it as best as we could as its gotta last me a few years now (baby on the way) and dont want to have to redo anything in the near future

i only get a chance to do things on it at the weekends and all the bits have been under the dash lately

im fitting a vogue interior at the moment so ill put pics up of that when its all finished at the weekend 

its not far away now gotta get the tank fitted propperly and get it painted

Offline yellowbelly

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 11:41:25 »
If you want to use it on the road it needs the SVA because by cutting short the chassis and shortening the body it is a radically altered vehicle. This is obviously not as Landrover had it type approved. That is why it comes under the requirement for an SVA. Most people worry to much about the SVA. At the end of the day it is a safety check and everything required for it is simply laid out in the manual. I have put several vehicles through it and never had any problems that can't be resolved with a bit of engineering and a discussion with the tester. At least if you SVA it you can get it properly registered and insured and it will have a higher resale value should you ever wish to move it on. If you were to drive it on the road as a bobtail without getting it properly registered and you had an accident your insurance would be invalid. You really don't want to think how much that would cost you if someone else was also involved and injured.

On the other side of things it looks a fantastic vehicle which you have obviously built well. I can't wait to see pictures of it finished.

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 16:38:27 »
If you want to use it on the road it needs the SVA because by cutting short the chassis and shortening the body it is a radically altered vehicle. This is obviously not as Landrover had it type approved. That is why it comes under the requirement for an SVA. Most people worry to much about the SVA. At the end of the day it is a safety check and everything required for it is simply laid out in the manual. I have put several vehicles through it and never had any problems that can't be resolved with a bit of engineering and a discussion with the tester. At least if you SVA it you can get it properly registered and insured and it will have a higher resale value should you ever wish to move it on. If you were to drive it on the road as a bobtail without getting it properly registered and you had an accident your insurance would be invalid. You really don't want to think how much that would cost you if someone else was also involved and injured.

On the other side of things it looks a fantastic vehicle which you have obviously built well. I can't wait to see pictures of it finished.

sva isnt an issue for me as its not a road vehicle, its not been done to make a profit from it either i promiced myself a bobtail range rover since i was 12 years old its only taken me 14 years to pull my finger out lol its as much part of the family now as the dog :) even my missus was outside helping me pop rivet the floor back in

thanks for the info tho ill keep it in mind if i ever decide to sva it

appriciate the comment about the build quality its the first time ive ever got that involved with body work as to be fabricating body mounts and welding in new repair sections

i got to admit though that i did underestimate the build its a hell of alot more work than i first thought

Offline PITBULL

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 16:59:05 »
love the range im toyin with the idea about replacing the disco with one any updates fella  :dance:
Disco 300tdi Manual, JE Engengering stage 2 tune, allisport Intercooler, HiClone thingy, Safari snorkel, Scorpion Racing Winch Bumper & Steering Guard, Superwinch EPi9 with plasma, 33/12.5 khumo kl71's, Beedlocked Mach 5's, Heavy Duty Half Shafts & CV's, Front Diff Guard, H/D Steering Rods, 2" Blue Springs, Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks, Scorpion Racing 30deg props, ARB Air Locker on back, Full Safety Devices Internal Roll Cage & Roof Rack, Tree sliders, Scorpion Racing Detachable Tow Bar, Cobra Daytona seats, Cb.
i think thats it... 4 NOW!
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline Tel

Attack Member
  • 300 tdi disco toybox
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 10:46:10 »
thanks mate

not alot at the moment ive had to move it as the place i was rebuilding it hasnt worked out very well but the fuel tanks in and the gas kit is finished it all runs and drives again mainly need to paint it now

but they way things are looking at the moment  it might end up on ebay as an unfinished project or get broken for spares as i need the money for a deposit for a house so to say im gutted is an understatement but the baby and a place to live is more important

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal