AuthorTopic: Shogun reliability?  (Read 4074 times)

Offline AndyN

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Shogun reliability?
« on: October 14, 2008, 18:21:07 »
Hi all, haven't been on here for a while now as I sold my range rover when i changed job, anyway, i'm looking at a few shoguns in the new few days, would be mainly a toy and a daily driver, had a mk1 pajero swb before and loved it but going for a later shape this time.... now can i pick your brains.

has anyone got a petrol v6 running over 100,000 miles and what goes wrong when they get older?
I am going for one over another RRC for economy and reliability, a 3.0 V6 auto is ideally what i'm going for as i've heard the diesels are very juicy, how much truth is in this?
Off road I wouldnt expect them to be a match for the land rover boys, my old 3.0 swb was good but is there much of a penalty for having a lwb (breakover angles etc...) ?

any help or opinions would be great as i'm hoping to have one bought and at whaddon by sunday, heres to optimism anyway!
Thanks in advance, Andy

marjan

Re: Shogun reliability?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 19:36:33 »
Hi mate,

I have a 1996 3.0 V6 Shogun with 118k on the clock and the only thing I have had to change is the rear dampers (standard ones are crap) to Pro Comp Es9000's and just recently changed the clutch which the mechanic said was the original Mitsi unit. Only place that they tend to rust badly is around the headlights where water collects. Just make sure that the 4WD system works ok as this can be a pain to fix if it isn't right.

Can't help you with advice about the LWB as mine is a SWB model.

Offline mad geordies

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 22:31:00 »
shoguns are uk spec and not wax oiled, pajero,s have all the water treatment and hardly seen salty roads ( paj is imports) but dont matter landie or paj if its well serviced and driven right both are just as good and reliable,

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:26 »
we had a shogan 2.5 lwb the only two things I would say is head gasket, and under powered about 20 to gallon out of the disel, the 2.8 about 18 (ours did any way) but pulled like a steam train, the v6 I have fancied on of them my m8 got one darn it there are fast big grin he drives like a **** so his fuel is terrible 25 mpg, but when his missus drives hers she gets 30 (shes a good driver ) 55 miles per hour that is wht she gets good milage (she wisely wont let him drive hers)
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

marjan

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:13:43 »
we had a shogan 2.5 lwb the only two things I would say is head gasket, and under powered about 20 to gallon out of the disel, the 2.8 about 18 (ours did any way) but pulled like a steam train, the v6 I have fancied on of them my m8 got one darn it there are fast big grin he drives like a **** so his fuel is terrible 25 mpg, but when his missus drives hers she gets 30 (shes a good driver ) 55 miles per hour that is wht she gets good milage (she wisely wont let him drive hers)

25MPG out of a V6 Shogun, what is he doing, freewheeling down hills !!!.   I'm lucky to get 18mpg and frequently get around 15mpg when driven hard !!!.

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 20:46:02 »
Thanks for the input, will be making my mind up in the next few days and post a piccy up, is there still a premium to pay for insurance with an import pajero over a shogun?
anyway, theres a disco 300 tdi local to me too so i'm going to look at that as well before i jump in.
hmmn now its complicated, disco, pajero, shogun, petrol,diesel, auto,manual???? whats a guy to do faced with a dilemma like this, I cant ask the missus cos she will try and talk me into getting a fiesta!

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:55:32 »
Thanks for the input, will be making my mind up in the next few days and post a piccy up, is there still a premium to pay for insurance with an import pajero over a shogun?

well we are looking at getting a MK2 SWB 2.5 and did a quote online - with fully comp, protected no claims and hubby's 3 points it worked out at £330 a year - which is cheaper than our 200 disco of the same year, and about the same as hes payng for his Peugeot 405 td estate!

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 23:25:39 »
WHOOHOO Just bought one, 3.0 V6 auto, luuuvverly!

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:45:40 »
My insurance went up a bit.... to £358. only up 60 from my focus

Not bad considering i'm only 25, with no ncb as i've had mostly company cars and classic policies on my other cars for nearly 4 years now.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 16:00:59 »
who is that with and is it full comp or 3rd party F&T?
I pay £350 for my disco 3rd party F&T and have full comp and 26yrs old, no accidents and did pass pluss.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 19:49:24 »
who is that with and is it full comp or 3rd party F&T?
I pay £350 for my disco 3rd party F&T and have full comp and 26yrs old, no accidents and did pass pluss.

More Than ..... Fully comp, £300 excess, with breakdown cover, and they've given me equivalent to about 4 yrs NCB as a discount as I have no real NCB due to the company cars etc...

Did get a really good quote from sureterm of about £240 on the same terms but we've already got our other car with MoreThan and they seem like a good service.

Hope this helps

Offline padjy

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 12:26:27 »
i pay 400 on a 2.5td j-top paj, but i am only 21 with two years no claims, would have more but kept changin insurance companies everytime i got a new car! :roll:
just looking at a 3.0 v6 lwb shogun at the minute and been quoted bout 100 quid more. :D
Im not HERE coz im not all THERE!

http://www.youtube.com/Bones2k7

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 19:57:43 »
might be a bit cheaper if you live in the sticks, we've got loads of thieving scallies round ere so it has to have a cat 1 alarm and immob for them to cover it though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal