AuthorTopic: L series 2.0 diesel not starting (Freelander / Rover engine)  (Read 1433 times)

Offline thermidorthelobster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
My wife's Rover 220SDI has recently been starting fine, then stalling, then restarting OK.  However, the other day it refused to start altogether, until I flattened the battery trying.

I wondered if it was air in the fuel line, so I bled the fuel line at the fuel filter, then looked to see if fuel was reaching the injectors.  It wasn't.  I used the priming pump to push fuel down to the injectors.  Then it started OK.

I have 2 theories:
1) The fuel pump is on the way out;  but it works fine once it's started & running.
2) There is a small leak on a fuel pipe somewhere, so when it's standing, air is being sucked into the system due to the negative pressure of the fuel trying to drain back into the tank.

I've had a good look around, particularly when I was priming it, but I can't see any fuel leaking out.  Any suggestions as to how I could find out where the air might be leaking in?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal