AuthorTopic: whats my rangie worth???  (Read 2029 times)

ben_haynes

whats my rangie worth???
« on: September 28, 2008, 00:22:37 »
I am thinking of selling up

what is my rangie worth??

its a1984 (B) 3.5 V8 auto vouge,
MOT july 09 tax ?? 09

Mods -
HD front and Rear Bumpers
Steering Guard
front and rear Diff guards
3 spoke alloys,
205/16 mud tyres,
2 inch lift,
procomp shocks,
+4 Goodridge hoses,
-2 rear shock mounts,
-2 front turrets,
deflex Polybush kit - orange,
12 inch mountney steering wheel,
Air Horns,
Big battery,
Electric Fans - on manual switch,
tinted rear windows,
roof light bar,
spot lights - 4 on roof, 4 on bumper,
bonnet pins,
side exit exhaust with one small silencer,
Tubular Sports Exhaust Manifolds
K&N air filters to Solex carbs

new bits - non mods -
replacement engine - out of 1990 discovery, less than 2000 miles ago
new upper tailgate,
new fuel tank,

bad points-
dent on tailgate,
dent on drivers front wing and bonnet,
dent on passenger wing and under windscreen panel,
dent on passenger front door,
upper tailgate does not lock,
few corrosion patches,
scratches on every panel,
one side light doesnt work,
one spot light is intermittent,
a brake light is intermittent,
only 3 electric windows work,
no washer bottle,
AC doesnt work, no Rad or Compressor or pipes between,
has clunk on front diff, when drive is taken up, not been a problem and been there 5 years at least (my dad owned it then before selling it 4 years ago),
no carpet in boot,
no spare wheel mount - has well in the back but no bolt,

been used on green lanes and pay & play sites aswell as being my every day motor.

Pictures here http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk238/ben_haynes_landrovers/?start=all tigger the devil ducks and 8 spokes with mud tyres will not be included

the vehicle cost me £500 in november and it was standard and i have fitted everything to it over the last 10 months

this is a just out of interest

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: whats my rangie worth???
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:00:27 »
How long is a peice of string, it's wqorth what someone will pay.  With all the toys you'd get your £500 back but TBH it's worth more selling up separately :(
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

ben_haynes

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 17:47:33 »
How long is a peice of string, it's wqorth what someone will pay.  With all the toys you'd get your £500 back but TBH it's worth more selling up separately :(

if its only worth 500 with all thre bits on i will keep it as i know there is over £1000 worth of kit on there

pux

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 20:57:04 »

if its only worth 500 with all thre bits on i will keep it as i know there is over £1000 worth of kit on there
1k's worth when you bought them new :? i would say RRB is spot on with the price of £500 :oops:

ben_haynes

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 22:05:41 »
thats bull [!Expletive Deleted!], if it was standard it would cost the same to put it back on so [!Expletive Deleted!] am i going to sell the [!Expletive Deleted!] with all the toys on for the same price as i would with out, i think i will keep it

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 22:22:53 »
thats bull [!Expletive Deleted!], if it was standard it would cost the same to put it back on so [!Expletive Deleted!] am i going to sell the [!Expletive Deleted!] with all the toys on for the same price as i would with out, i think i will keep it

Keep it  ;) it is worth more to you than anyone else, look at my avatar more time and effort has gone into mine and it is worth about half what I paid for it :( :( BEFORE the mods

Its the old Landrover trap £1000's of kit = £200 on price if buyer likes it or others telling you that the price is too high  :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry to have to agree but you would make more breaking it and selling the mods seperate  :( :(
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 22:29:39 »
If you can affor to keep her Just think what ecuse the way I put this (crap you could get stuck with and then have to spend loads of dosh to get half as good as you have I no there heavy on fuel but is ther any thing else youd rether drive?, I no im a new comer to rangies but Ill not part with ours for any thing, unless it falls to bits and there is no metal left to weld  :D
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

ben_haynes

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 22:37:47 »

Keep it  ;) it is worth more to you than anyone else, look at my avatar more time and effort has gone into mine and it is worth about half what I paid for it :( :( BEFORE the mods

Its the old Landrover trap £1000's of kit = £200 on price if buyer likes it or others telling you that the price is too high  :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry to have to agree but you would make more breaking it and selling the mods seperate  :( :(

if i was to break it (which it is far to good to do) the mods would go in the shed for when i get back into 4x4ing will definatly have a landy,

ben_haynes

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 22:43:44 »
If you can affor to keep her Just think what ecuse the way I put this (crap you could get stuck with and then have to spend loads of dosh to get half as good as you have I no there heavy on fuel but is ther any thing else youd rether drive?, I no im a new comer to rangies but Ill not part with ours for any thing, unless it falls to bits and there is no metal left to weld  :D

unfortunatly i lost my jobe at the end of last month and i have set up my own business and had to buy a small cheap run about and need to sort the business out and dont have timefor the rangie, and dont want to see it turn to a pile of rust on my drive and end up being scrapped

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 22:45:57 »
good to see you starting up what busines my I enquire
v8 3.9 se discovery
allterains
imverta

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 22:57:40 »
Modyfying any LR will effect it's value second hand, rarely for the better.

First off, if it's modyfied then assume it's lead a hard life, it's been off-roaded, it's been abused.  It's less desirable and there are plenty of examples that have lead charmed lives that make a better proposition second hand, sorry but that's the way people look at it.

Secondly, any prospective buyer might not like your choice of modifications, at any rate they won't consider the cost new of any such parts, again if it's not a bargain then better to buy a standard truck and modifiy yourself, so if you haven't had your money's worth out of the toys then why part with them?  add on the likley chance of failure for parts that were already fitted...........

Finaly I never pay anywhere near the cost new for secong hand parts, I don't care how new they are.  If they are going to cost much more than half the price new then I buy new.  That way I have the receipt if they go wrong and I know how they have been used either way.

Much the same as any other hobby, expect to put loads of cash in for little financial reward, the reward comes in the fun you have using them.  You'll never make a profit doing things that other people can do for themselves.

So if the RR has to go, put it back as it was and sell it as standard, or near as, then list all the toys with the best price you would accept for them, be realistic, if they don't sell put them away for now.

Be warned though, I have a loft full of RRC parts (and classic Ford parts) that have drastically devalued whilst I have been hoarding them.

As an example I recenlty saw a set of bridging ladders advertised for sale, the guy wanted what he'd payed for them.  Not going to happen, if I'm paying full price I want new, with some sort of guarantee (sorry if that's anyone here BTW) and brand spanking shiney new.  I buy Second hand for a bargain or because I intend to sell it on in the future.

I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but would you thank us if we told you you'd make a fortune only to waste one in advertising?  The reason many of the RRC breakers I knew stopped trading is not the supply of cars it's the demand for parts.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

ben_haynes

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 23:11:30 »
good to see you starting up what busines my I enquire

i have set up my own business mechanicing

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 00:45:30 »
Good luck with that mate :clap:

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 08:04:06 »
all the best with your venture m8 :clap: :clap:
v8 3.9 se discovery
allterains
imverta

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 09:17:12 »
Hello mate,

unfortunately I have to agree with everything RRB says,
you don't start modifying a RRC to make money,
you do it for the fun,
when the fun ends it has to be disposed of,
if you look at the car market in general...there are not a lot of people right now wanting to buy a car because of the big CC,
of those that are, there are not a lot of people on the look out for a RRC
of those that are looking for a RRC there are not a lot that want one tricked up,
even of those people that want one tricked up they would rather trick one up to their own taste,
so you see you have an extremley limited amount of potential customers,
this will have to be reflected in the price.

I've got a RRC soft dash which has set me back well over £5k in rebuliding & off road mods,
What's it worth????
right now I'd get now wehere near half of that money spent.
I'd get more for it breakling it up.
it's too good to break, like yours, but sadly that's the reality.
SUPPLY AND DEMAND........

Cheers for now,
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:59:40 by Range Rover Ron »
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline stuntman

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 08:57:11 »
Well I hate to say but trying to sell an old V8 RR for a good price, will be like trying to sell a bikini to eskimo.

At least with a diesel, you could sell it to someone with the perception of it being economical. The mods are worth very little to be honest.

I had a very well sorted 200 disco, all the shiny bits, winches tent the  lot. Tried on ebay a few times, never went above 2k, and it was rust free.

I took all the offroad stuff off and sold it seperatly and kept a few bits for my new 110. Selling an offraoder is difficult, only other off roaders will normally understand how it's been treated, however they also know what you can pick a good one up for.
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

Offline TechnoTurkey

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 09:00:25 »
Must say that I agree with the majority of people, my Range was never viewed as an investment and any mods I make are for me not for resale value.  I normally consider what I am spending and see what it would be worth second hand to work out what it really costs me.
2007 Honda Civic Type R GT
1982 VW Camper - Current Project
1991 Pajero SWB 2.5TD - SOLD
1990 Range Rover Vouge 3.9 V8 - SCRAPPED
1989 110 3.5 V8 CSW - SOLD
1984 Series 3, Ex MoD, 109 SOLD
1986 90 2.5D Pick Up - SOLD

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 17:49:04 »
Soz but got to agree most of my mod bits have been on at least 2 or 3 motors , i had a bull bar that must have been on at least 5 landys before i gave it to a friend for helping  me one day. I've  sold land rovers in the past and the only one i made money on was a series 1 . As you said its been well used and got the scares to prove it like most of my motors . At present i have 2 sat at the bottom of the garden both are to good to brake and not Worth nothing to sell , got rid of a Suzuki the other month was worth more as scrap than what i could have hoped to get if i sold it

Simon
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 10:46:57 »
well I must agree to all of the above - the general population now look on anything made by land rover as unmoveable scrap iron, a few local traders I know have refused to take them in px as they cannot shift them on, even local auctions are finding it hard - guy we know uses them frequently and has put 2 RR's through in the past few weeks and the most they made was £150... :'(
we at the moment have 3 vehicles we are trying to sell, and even at stupid prices nothing seems to be selling.
BUT if Ben needs a van for work, then i would swap him for His RR if he wants to PM me
(van is in the sales section)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 01:25:14 »
Yeap they are pretty much worth their weight in scrap to some traders.  If I don't sell the one I have here by next summer I'll cut it up and use the bits to upgrade Blue.

Offline Reggieroo

Attack Member
    • Nr Pershore, Worcestershire
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 10:53:08 »
Like everyone said they are not worth a lot, I know you wanted to hear that's it worth something with all the bits on but your better of selling the bits on ebay & weighing the car in for scrap or just keeping it the way it is. You can pick up late L reg models for £600-£700.

You can pick up a lot of car these days for very little money, I just took a mate down south to pick up an L plate LSE for £750, tax & mot'ed with a very nice plate on it so that just puts it into perspective.

I keep my BMW even though I hardly drive it, people are always telling me to get rid of it but its worth more to me keeping it. Most people seem to over estimate the value of their cars & when you tell them how much they are worth they feel insulted but that's just the way it is.
1993 3.9 V8 Range Rover Classic
Audi 4.2 V8 S6 Quattro

For a taste of Ireland delivered direct to your door www.theirishshop.co.uk

My 4x4 websites.
www.offroad4x4s.com
www.offroadrangerovers.com
www.offroadlandrovers.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal