AuthorTopic: Winch mounting  (Read 963 times)

Offline justinmud

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winch mounting
« on: September 27, 2008, 18:43:31 »
Hi im after buying a winch to fit to the front of my series 3, it will have to be electric 12v as i have an overdrive and it helps with fuel, but i am unsure how i am going to mount the winch, as series winch bumpers are few and far between and expensive, i am a competent welder but am in need of some inspiration  :D as there is not much structure to weld plate to as it is going to have to be strong, any advice would be great and pic's would be great so i can steal some ideas  :oops: many thanks in advance.

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Re: Winch mounting
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 19:51:07 »
There's little need for a winch bumper like on a coil sprung motor, for one simple reason, a Series does not have a flush front end.  That means you can put the winch between the wings, just infront of the radiator panel.  Oddly enough this was also the factory specced location for winches too!

What you want to do is see if someone provides a winch base plate to bolt the winch to and then weld/bolt said plate onto the dumbirons and front crossmember.

Offline TBM

Attack Member
Re: Winch mounting
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:30:25 »
look at page 16 of this link:

http://www.bearmach.com/acatalog/Defender.pdf

Although it says Defender the picture is a series. I had one on mine. Worked really well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal