AuthorTopic: New Vitara owner.  (Read 9205 times)

Offline dainott

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
New Vitara owner.
« on: September 22, 2008, 16:06:28 »
Hi folks, im a new Vitara owner (only just got into 4x4 as went out with one of my mates in a lifted SJ) and will be having my 95 N plate SWB Vitara end of this week or beginning of next. Im clued up enough to have a bash at most things and planning the 3 inch body lift and suspension lift and a set of off road tyres. I have heard that i might have leaves on the rear on mine but also heard that they fitted springs from a certain age so was wondering if anyone can tell me prior to getting it. Also what would you recommend in regards to tyre size. Any cheap mods that i can get done without spending to much at the mo. Cheers all
Dai (David)

Offline wormster

Attack Member
Re: New Vitara owner.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 16:16:40 »
Welcome Fiend,

As a entry level 4x4 a vit is a good choice IMO (some say the SJ400 is a better base vehicle)

Mine's bog stock atm (just had a new clutch put in after an opps moment)

v8nut21 does a good line in breaking vits for spares at reasonable prices.

here's his profile:
http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=8282

good luck with the project.
Mainly found lurking underground and drivin my vit off road

Offline dainott

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 16:29:02 »
Hi mate cheers for the reply. What susp setup does yours have at the rear and what year is it. How do you find it off road as standard?

Will be going up to the Radyr open day next weekend with a few mates (keep an eye out for 2 bobtailed v8 range rovers (one focus orange) and a red lifted SJ and a Vit (not mine) if anyone is going. Also might have another mate in 50k of merc G class. God its gonna be difficult for me to try and compete with this lot  :roll:, but hoping to have a good look at some Vits up there for ideas.

Offline wormster

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 20:17:08 »
Rear set up 'aint looked fella, its a j reg so work it out, off road FINE as long as you don't cane it :dance:

Offline dainott

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:00:49 »
Ok cheers, I will prob be having it next week now so will have to wait and have a look if there is Leaf springs on the rear when i get it.

Offline v8nut21

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:48:42 »
hi mate all vits are coil spring all round with rear a frame set up depending on what modle it may have power stering it may not thay are easy to mod and there are loads of cheep ways of lifting them when u get it if u need any help or bits just drop me a line be glad to help

you can e mail me on
vits.r.us@live.co.uk
Stop the world I want to get off

Offline v8nut21

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 12:49:35 »
Welcome Fiend,

As a entry level 4x4 a vit is a good choice IMO (some say the SJ400 is a better base vehicle)

Mine's bog stock atm (just had a new clutch put in after an opps moment)

v8nut21 does a good line in breaking vits for spares at reasonable prices.

here's his profile:
http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=8282

good luck with the project.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
thank u

Offline dainott

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 15:39:39 »
Hi v8nut21, going to have a try at fitting a 3 inch body lift, rock sliders, front and rear bumper myself, but still waiting for the the vit to arrive (should be next week) and not sure if i need any replacement bits for it (bought it nice and cheap and alsong as its not completely rotten then happy to have a go at getting it setup for off road as thats all i want it for really.

So do you only have standard parts or do you have winch bumpers, tyres, diff guards etc. for sale?

Cheers for all the help so far folks (hope that i can help some people out in future after learning/making mistakes on my own). 

Also hearing about problems with the front alu axle if you got to high on the suspension. Im not looking to spend megabucks at the moment and wondering what people reckon i should go for? Also is it a good plan to go for 3 inch body lift and get 31's on it with a bit of cutting?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 16:53:39 by dainott »

Offline maddogz

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 18:28:59 »
Hi mate.
Welcome to the Vit world :cool:
You can do a body lift nice and cheap with box section steel.
If you body lift it, you will need to extend the gear and transfer levers by the same amount as the lift.
If you go 3" you may need to extend the steering rod and petrol filler pipe too.
Grand Vitara springs are good for 1-2" lift and Bits4Vits on ebay sell all sorts of suspension stuff and bodylift kits . (but he is on hols for a few weeks). The offroad armoury does very nice winch bumpers etc.
Ive just finished my own rock sliders  :lol:

Andy  ;)

Offline dainott

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:37:44 »
Fair play Andy nice job on the rock sliders and cheers for the info. Did have a look on here at the body lift and seems easy enough with extending the gear/transfer levers and cutting the groove for the brake lines to move down. Was looking last night at box steel to do the lift and also have a look at making a front bumper. I was thinking 80mm x 40mm 4mm thick for the front bumper (what do people reckon?) but no ideas what to use for the lift!?

Offline v8nut21

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 18:28:42 »
four a cheep lift i would use rover 600 car rear springs on the back and bits4vits spacers on the front with some strut spacers and some mk2 astras shocks nice and cheep will give u a 2 inch lift

Offline maddogz

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 18:48:36 »
Here is my set up. Lwb GV springs, bits4vits spacers and astra mk2 shocks(for extra length) [-X ;). You can just see the box section bodylift on the right hand side of the pic and again top left. I just asked for 2" by 2" box section when i got my bits together. I drilled a hole right through then slotted 1 side  so you can slide it over the stud that sticks out of the floor.

Just found a piccy of the box section for you. The slot is cut in the top from the hole to the edge furthest away as you look at the picture.

Hope this helps  :D

Offline wormster

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 19:18:02 »
OOOHHH,

now that's given ME ideas :roll:

Offline dainott

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 13:55:10 »
where is the best plae to get the lwb grand vitara springs then folks. I take it i get 2 fronts and 2 rears (had to ask)?  :)

Offline vinrex7

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 14:57:18 »
Are you sure that those home made body lifts are even legal? they don't look safe.

Offline dainott

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 16:19:30 »
so is the original bolt removable cos would rather put a long thicker bolt all the way through the piece of box steel to increase the strength.

Offline maddogz

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 18:05:07 »
You could look on ebay for someone breaking a Gv. I got mine from a breakers yard, £20 +vat per spring.
Full set 2 rear, 2 front  ;) :D

Legality?  :-k Not sure to be truthful. Lots of people use this method and iv'e not heard anybody getting into trouble for it. Thats not to say it hasn't happened though.  8-[
Ive just got another Vit but im considering using 4x2 steel box for the lift, as this would give a a bigger footprint to sit the body onto.

The bolt is fixed to the floorpan of the Vit and is sandwiched between 2 layers of steel so you cant see the top. Im not sure if you could cut it out and replace it  :?

Offline dainott

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 12:17:22 »
Any particular year Grand Vitara then to get the springs from then? Also what shocks have people put on the front with astra rear shocks. Think this will be the first mod i will be doing with a body lift and then wait to find a decent set of tyres and or wheels to come along.

PS what year did they remove the lights from the rear bumper on the vitara and put them all in the rear 1/4 panel?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:41:14 by dainott »

Offline maddogz

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 18:24:54 »
You dont have shocks as such on the front they are struts.
Bits4Vits does strut spacers that fit on the top of the original struts.
Any Gv that isnt the brand new shape should be ok.
You can use swb or lwb springs.
The lwb give more lift as they are rated for a heavier truck.
Just need to mention that I had to remove the spring spacers from the front suspension as they were causing the spring to belly out and foul the brake caliper when i turned full lock on the steering. I dont think this is a problem if using swb springs+spacers
Clicky Link to my thread about it  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal