AuthorTopic: Help!!! went too deep in water  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Gavhowe

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help!!! went too deep in water
« on: September 07, 2008, 14:04:20 »
hi,

I was at a pay and play site and wet though too deep a water, my terrano made it out the otherside but is now not running right.

It is a 2.7TDI, just after coming out the water the power seem to drop even though it kept going.

I turned it off and took the air filter out this was wet though. The car would then rev without the air filter in but was a little lumpy and white smoke was coming out the back.

This white smoke cleared after a while, and all seemed fine just heavy down on power. I drove the car home, and put another air filter in and tried to use some electrical cleaner on the MAF sensor, but it still does not run right. I also tried the car without MAF sensor in and I think I feels the same but difficult to tell.

What else can I try, could the turbo have been damaged or something else?? Not really sure what to do next, as don't know much about Diesels.

Sorry for long post just a little worried that it could be an expensive mistake.

Thanks

Gavin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:09:44 by Frankie-Boy »

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
Re: Help!!! wet to too deep a water
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 23:31:25 »
Hate to tell you, but it sounds like you bent something!!

If the air filter was soaking, then chances are the water has entered the engine, the pistons will have tried to compress this water unsuccessfully and you will have [!Expletive Deleted!] something!

Chances are a conrod or something, basically its a pull the head off to have a look!

Sorry to bear bad news but engines cannot compress water!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Gavhowe

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 17:10:49 »
Change the MAF sensor and all is good. THe terrano does not have a manual cable throttle so the ECU does not open the throttle much if there is a bad input from sensor. hence the major lack in power.

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 17:44:18 »
Lucky one! Glad it wasn't the doom I posted :dance: Time to get a snorkel??
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Gavhowe

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:49:46 »
I know,problem is that no one makes one for it, so it will have to be home made job.

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
Re: Help!!! went too deep in water
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 21:15:28 »
nothing to worry about mate, mine does it everytime i either go through deep water or hit a puddle too fast. something electronic gets damp and bacially it does what you say it done (drop in torque, white smoke and doesnt rev very hard). im still trying to find what it is so i can water proof it
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline morson4x4

Attack Member
    • Salisbury
Re: Help!!! went too deep in water
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:24:27 »
For snorkel try OEC website they do things for the less likely vehicles i couldn see my terrano on there, mines a 2.7tdi to we had a similar problem but didn take thro water i brought it off a careless owner and found it had water mixed in with the diesel so had to drain the tank. Anyway i drifted from the point try www.oec4x4.com and email them im sure they can customize one.  :dance:
One Life, Live It

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal